/ The Best Long Mountain Day in the UK. Is this it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Peter Holder - on 27 May 2012
Day 10 into our continuous Munro round was a good one. We think it could be 'The Best Long Mountain Day in the UK'

Have a look and let us know what you think. We would love to hear if you have any other suggestions.

Peter and Joe

http://munro2012.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/possibly-best-long-mountain-day-in-uk.html
bouldery bits - on 27 May 2012
In reply to james.peter:

Looks like a lush 2 dayer - could do in 1 day at a push but would need a dead early start!

gregor - on 27 May 2012
In reply to james.peter:
Enjoyed the blog, looks like a grand day out. Shame about the blisters

Other favourite long mainland days for me are Fisherfield 6 road to road (with a pair of light trainers in the sack for the river crossing) and the round of Glencoe - up Curved ridge, off the back of the Buchaille, up and along Bidean, to the Clachaig, over Aonach Eagach back to the car by Devils staircase
Tim Chappell - on 27 May 2012
In reply to james.peter:

A good mountain day is partly a matter of mood, but this could be one of them.

Here's one I'd love to do: Clach Glas, Bla Bheinn, over to Coruisk, up the Dubhs ridge, rest of the Cuillin. My what a dream...
Peter Holder - on 27 May 2012
In reply to gregor:

Tim, I agree, Mood is definitely a factor to a good mountain day and the weather certainly helps shape the mood. What a day that would be too.

Gregor- That route sounds great! We are looking forward to heading over to Glen Coe, We should be over that way within the next 10 days. I'll have a look at our plans to see if we can do your suggestion as a route.

Have you done it before? Do you know the distance involved?
In reply to james.peter: I've done the Glen Coe round in a recent guidebook on long hard hill days Peter ( http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=4657 ). My figures are 41km and 4200m, 20hrs if you're walking rather than running.
CurlyStevo - on 28 May 2012
In reply to james.peter:
Its a shame not to drop down in to the shelterstone end of the loch avon basin when you are in the area though isn't it? Thats my favourite location of that whole area.
dmhigg - on 28 May 2012
In reply to james.peter: Sorry to crash your topic, but what was the snow cover on the plateau like? Was it reasonably fast going on hard snow, or could you avoid the snow? Thanks.
Sean Kelly - on 28 May 2012
In reply to james.peter: A circuit around remote Knoydart is quite a good day out, so long as the weather is with you!
Lankyman - on 28 May 2012
In reply to james.peter: nothing to do with best long days etc Peter & Joe but why do you have a photo of the back of Skiddaw on your Munro blog?!
speliox - on 29 May 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: Did your dream route back in the 80's - a round trip from Slig.(0200 hrs)via Clach Glas-Blaven, coast path to Coruisk, Dubh Slabs and back along Cuillin Ridge (arr. Slig.2330hrs). We treated this as a long mountaineering day - most definately not a fell run which debase these wonderful hills in some undefinable way! Get reasonably fit, be familiar with the main ridge and go for it - certainly my best mountain day!
drmarten on 29 May 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
Dan - you're too modest. That Glen Coe round looks a right beast, the southern side of the A82 is a test in itself I'd say - without adding on the Aonach Eagach. 4200m is also some amount of ascent for a day.
PS Guidebook is good, a few minor grumbles but it's given me an idea or two..
parkovski - on 29 May 2012
In reply to drmarten:

I can second/third the recommendation of a full round of Glencoe. I ran this anti clockwise last Easter in about 8.5 hours, starting and finishing at the Clachaig. Dan's stats sound about right.

If you're doing modern munros rather than original munros, you'll have to cover extra ground. Take plenty of capacity to carry water as the extended aonnach eagach is devoid of water sources after leaving the devil's staircase. I only had a 700ml bike bottle and got pretty damn thirsty!
IainRUK - on 29 May 2012
In reply to parkovski: Boring suggestion I know but I still think the Welsh 14/15 peaks takes some beating. Just because of the completeness and just attainable size of the round. As a one of challenge I think its superb with bits of everything.
In reply to parkovski: 8.5hrs is going some, nice one. Out of interest, was there any particular rationale for going anti clockwise?
> (In reply to parkovski) 8.5hrs is going some, nice one. Out of interest, was there any particular rationale for going anti clockwise?

Not especially - I decided to do it on a bit of a whim while up there hill-walking for a week with my girlfriend and her family. I was BGR training at the time, and whilst i'd logged about 6000m of ascent already that week, it had all been at a pretty leisurely pace! I guess the only guiding logic was the attractive thought of running along a deserted aonnach eagach in the evening light with the promise of a pint in the Clachaig. Running up stob coire nam beith to start seemed a nice idea too.

My route may have been shorter than yours, as I missed out SCnL, Beinn Fhadda (sp?), and one of the summits of Buachaille Etive Beag which I think might be retro-munros now(?)
petestack - on 29 May 2012
In reply to parkovski:
> If you're doing modern munros rather than original munros, you'll have to cover extra ground.

31.1km with 4,610m ascent to cover all Munros and Tops according to my 2006 calculations, but could easily be more because I've not yet rechecked that with GPS, Memory-Map etc...
http://www.petestack.com/running/glencoe.html

> (In reply to parkovski) 8.5hrs is going some, nice one.

Yep, that stands up well to Bobby Shield's 7hrs 5mins 'benchmark'! Though I'm still hoping to repeat my more inclusive circuit a good deal faster than before...

New book looks great, Dan! :-)
In reply to petestack:

Having had a quick measure of my route I make it about 31 km - but your route covers quite a lot more ground! I reckon you'll find it's more like Dan's figure. My ascent only comes out at around 4000m too.

Next time I'll not pussy out and I'll follow your extended route, but only if someone builds a bridge between Stob Dubh and Stob na Broige! The down and up over the Lairig Gartain was fairly gnarly!

In reply to parkovski: I've missed out SCnL and Beinn Fhada too, but included both end summits of BEB, which I gather are both munros (I don't generally pay much attention to those)
In reply to petestack: Thanks!

I will have to have a look at your book Dan, it sounds good!
Peter Holder - on 01 Jun 2012
In reply to dmhigg: Snow is pretty much non existent in all areas now, there are odd patches but they are all avoidable. Great conditions for anyone heading up over the bank holiday weekend for a spot of walking.

(there are loads people in Fort Bill at the moment.)
Peter Holder - on 01 Jun 2012
In reply to james.peter: Anyone heading to Fort William this Weekend?
Jack Frost - on 01 Jun 2012
In reply to james.peter:
>
> (there are loads people in Fort Bill at the moment.)

Probably something to do with the A9 being closed and FW being the diversion route

Looks like a top weekend forecast - hope you guys get some decent miles under the belt.
Sharkatron - on 02 Jun 2012
In reply to james.peter:

Good going guys. How long do you expect to do this in? (sorry didnt notice previously)

Answer to the original question is the best ridge in UK obviously. The second would be the loop from Brodick(isle of Arran)taking in all the peaks including the hidden master piece of A'chir bypassed by so many peak baggers. Fantastic ridges!
The Ex-Engineer - on 02 Jun 2012
Hi James,

In answer to your question - yes and no.

The four four thousanders in the Cairngorms is an established classic (I did it 19 years ago!) which, as you suggest is comparable with the Cuillin and the Welsh three thousanders, however I am not convinced that your 'peak bagging' detours from the classic route actually add anything to it as one of the UK's best mountain days.

I certain can't disagree with you for highlighting the Cairngorms and the potential it has.

However, IMO the only two possible contenders for the best mountain day in the UK are either completing the Greater Cuillin Traverse or a round of the 4 Classic Ridges on the Ben.
Peter Holder - on 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Sharkatron: Hey Pal, The aim is to do them all in one season, but we are hoping to do them within 60 days. (I am off the Dolomites in the middle of July so it would be nice to complete them before I go)
jonnie3430 - on 05 Jun 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

A friends dad did most/all(?) of the Cairngorm munro's on touring ski's in winter, which I would think a bit more mountaineery!
gregor - on 05 Jun 2012
In reply to james.peter: re Glencoe round
Hi James, sorry for slow reply. I have done the Glencoe round twice and with no training and I am not a runner (fair bit squash and 5 a sides most weeks only). Not quite running but moving as fast as I could otherwise (beasting the uphill bits) with almost no rests it took about 10.5 hours. I am sure you guys will be much fitter than I was with all your hill days.
Both times I went anti clockwise - so you can go up Curved ridge when fresh and cruise the gentle slopes back to base after the Aonach Eagach when legs are tired.
I guess you guys might want to squeeze in the wee Buchaille as well - ?another 2 or 2.5hrs for this
gregor - on 05 Jun 2012
In reply to gregor: Sorry, should have said'both times I went clockwise'
ads.ukclimbing.com
AlasdairM on 06 Jun 2012
In reply to james.peter: I'm presuming you're the guys we met on the summit Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin on Saturday - good luck with your round and I hope the photo I took turned out alright!!

Peter Holder - on 07 Jun 2012
In reply to AlasdairM: Yep, that was us. Thanks for taking the pic. Did you have a good day? How far did you get before you decided to set up camp?
AlasdairM on 08 Jun 2012
In reply to james.peter: We went up to the bealach at Stob Ban - I climbed it and my mate just met me at the lochan. Great weather for the two days and a really good walk.
mrchewy - on 08 Jun 2012
In reply to james.peter: With Iain on this with regard to the Welsh3000s - it has everything, especially if you do Bristly Ridge.
In reply to james.peter:
Here's an interesting 24 hour job - Bike from Gruinard to Loch na Sealga, An Teallach traverse followed by the Fisherfield 6, carrying on over Beinn Dearg Mor and Beinn Dearg Bheag and down to bike again at Loch na Sealga.
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: That's a cracker alright; though real (wo)men do without the bike
Ah! first I cycle from Gairloch, Dan !
dmhigg - on 13 Jun 2012
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: Lots of good long days on the Steve Fallon site: for those wanting a longer day out, may I recommend http://longdistancechallenges.blogspot.co.uk/p/scotland.html The Fisherfield round is a cracker!
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: Oh alright then I'll give you that one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.