/ The Conger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
steveb2006 - on 29 May 2012
Hi – Having twice been repulsed by a horribly wet and greasy start to The Conger I was wondering if there is a best time to do it. Last tried it today-29th May at about 2pm (about 90 mins before high tide) on a very sunny warm day after at least 4 days of sun. Is it likely to be drier later in the afternoon? or is it better bet in the later summer months?. Looking at the logbook looks like majority of entries Jul-Sept but was climbed earlier in May this year. Or do people actually climb it with the evil greasy start- I didn’t fancy trying (especially with a big swell – Id already got wet feet). Troubled Waters and Felix where a nice consolation. Any useful advice on finding a dry Conger appreciated. Ta
Jus - on 29 May 2012
In reply to steveburns:

I've done it probably around a dozen or more times and I think only once
was it dry at the start. A very warm dry wind, calm seas and mid morning low tide does the trick. Or just deal with the slime!
billb - on 29 May 2012
In reply to steveburns: I did this on saturday. Yes the start was greasy - often like that to be honest. (Having done the conger in excess of 20 times over the last 7/8 years at varying times of the day and times of the year the first corner has never been completely bone dry as far as I can remember). The seas have been quite rough with onshore southerly winds which hasnt helped. It will be dryest after a period of high presure and with non onshore winds.

Every time the Conger is brilliant fun!
quiffhanger - on 29 May 2012
In reply to steveburns:

Yep, start is always a little wet. Still very worthwhile. However, worth noting it's easier to safely get established on the route at mid-low tide. At a high tide, iirc, if you want to stop your feet getting wet there are some committing moves as you cant stand on the little ledge.

-ross

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.