/ Free Chamonix Guidebook/wiki

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alasdair19 on 03 Jun 2012
Hello

A friend of mine who has great french has started translating Camp to Camp could be handy for the summer! Its a wiki format and contributions would be very welcome.

As part of the Alpine Club and Camptocamp.org joint project to produce an online guidebook in English for the Alps, I have been translating the route descriptions for a selection of climbs in the Mont Blanc region. These selected routes, together with the link to the route description, can be found on a small website;
http://funalps.com
The quality of these route descriptions will be limited in a number of ways; e.g. shortcomings in the original French version, limits in my translating skills and typing errors.

I hope as many people as possible will contribute to improving the quality of the descriptions. Camptocamp is a "wiki" type site so anybody can register and make improvements.

If you have any photos in, jpg form, suitable for showing the line of a route, this would be most helpful. If you have a favourite route that you would like to proof read, every bit of help goes towards achieving the (one of) fundamental aim of the AC, the dissemination of information.
N.B. Only the Fun Fives and Happy Alpine have been translated, I hope to finish the other list before next winter.

If you would prefer to email just send me stuff through here and I'll pass it onto Gus Morton

regards
Alasdair
franksnb - on 03 Jun 2012
In reply to alasdair19: this is great! thanks my french is terrible so I can't help im afraid.
In reply to franksnb: you can help just proof read a climb you've done and tell us the description is correct! Or just proof read for fun...
Ron Walker - on 03 Jun 2012
In reply to alasdair19:

Sounds good and hopefully better than Google Translate with regard to common climbing terms!
In reply to Ron Walker: Gus lived in luxembourg for a long time so I suspect he is being modest...
Doug on 04 Jun 2012
In reply to alasdair19: Why not add to camp to camp itself rather than setting up a parallel site ? I volunteered to help with English contributions/translations of skirando.ch which is now part of camp to camp & I'm sure the larger site is just as interested in being as international as possible
Doug on 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Doug: just realised that your descriptions are on camp to camp rather than on funalps.com but I can't edit/delete my earlier post
Dave Searle - on 04 Jun 2012
In reply to alasdair19: I have also been trying to set up a website to do a similar thing

http://www.chamonixtopo.com/
Ron Walker - on 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Dave Searle:
> (In reply to alasdair19) I have also been trying to set up a website to do a similar thing
>
> http://www.chamonixtopo.com/

Good website and links it's one I've got bookmarked ;-)
Mr Fuller on 09 Jun 2012
Both of these sites are absolutely excellent. The AC guidebooks are not easy to thumb through and get inspired by and the alternatives are neither cheap nor exhaustive. UKC is an amazing resource for UK crags but an equivalent for Chamonix (in English!) is a great idea. Then if someone can do one for the rest of the Alps too...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.