/ rope help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
leehawkins - on 09 Jun 2012
need help in choosing my first rope.

which rope would i need for top roping and sport climbing in dry weather outdoor ?
highclimber - on 09 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins: I don't know about anyone else, but I need more information before I recommend!

Where do you intend to use it? will you use it indoors? are you thinking of doing some 'proper' climing AKA Trad?
In reply to highclimber: hi. im from south wales and have not done any climbing out doors so im not sure where the local crags are and not sure what info u would need on them to recommend sorry. i dont think it will be used indoors as the climbing center has its own ropes set on the walls
highclimber - on 09 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins: so will you eventually be lead climbing or just top roping for the foreseeable future?
JLS on 09 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins:

A 60m Mamut Galaxy is good quality rope for all round use. There are cheaper ropes but you'd not regret getting a Galaxy.
JLS on 09 Jun 2012
In reply to highclimber: i will be starting with top roping and then start lead climbing after i gain more experience
derryclimbs - on 09 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins:

Would also recommend the Mammut Galaxy as a first time rope. Bought mine 5 years ago and although it has since been retired, it was a great rope for leading and taking friends out top roping.
Also, not sure if they do this anymore but it changed thread pattern half way which was great for finding the mid-point easily.
muppetfilter - on 09 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins: A 60M rope would be a good idea should you see yourself cruising up sunkist limestone in Spain whilst being watched by adoring throngs of Olive Skinned beauties. Basically a 60M rope offers you the option of climbing longer sport routes.
If you plan to toprope and set up top anchors rather than toprope on sport routes then a length of 10/11mm low stretch (sometimes called static rope) 10-15M would be an idea to rig up anchors with.
ads.ukclimbing.com
The Ex-Engineer - on 09 Jun 2012
In reply to leehawkins: You've got two plausible options:

1) Buy a hard-wearing 60m x 10mm rope (e.g. a Mammut Galaxy) which covers ALL the bases although it will be a bit of a poor compromise. It will be too long most of the time and will be a bit heavy at others. But it WILL do everything, you won't need to worry to much about it wearing quickly when you are top-roping and you should get your money's worth out of it.

2) Buy a short (35m-40m) 10mm rope as cheaply as possible which will be absolutely ideal for indoors and the shorter crags you will probably frequent most initially. Then in a few months buy I nice handling thinner (9.2-9.7mm) 60mm rope (e.g. Mammut Inifinity 9.5mm), possibly dry treated, which will be lighter and handle better. It will be absolutely ideal for leading longer sport routes and you won't need to worry about wearing it out too quickly and you'll have your cheap rope for indoors and short routes. If you are pretty sure you will still be climbing in a year or twos time, this would be the better long term option, but obviously you would have much less flexibility initially and it will eventually require a greater investment.

There is no easy answer to the question. You just need to accept that there are advantages and disadvantages whatever you do and make the best judgement you can.

As a first step I would certainly look very closely that the length of routes at your local crags as without knowing that, you'll struggle to make an informed decision.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.