/ Jotunheimen national park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
benward1009 - on 12 Jun 2012
Hi, I'm heading to the Jotunheimen national park with my girlfriend at the start of July. We will be trekking across the park and are also planning on doing some of the peaks of around 2000-2300m, but not sure if we need to take axes and crampons? Trying to minimise the weight we'll be carrying as we'll be walking across the whole park and are taking camping gear too.

We will be avoiding the glaciers as won't be taking harnesses etc, but don't want to limit our choice of summits by not taking crampons & axes. Has anyone been to this area who can offer any advice?

Thanks, ben
benward1009 - on 12 Jun 2012
In reply to benward1009: Forgot to also ask, can anyone recommend a decent trekking guide for this area? I've found a few decent websites but none of the books I've found so far look ideal.

Cheers
Dave Kerr - on 12 Jun 2012
In reply to benward1009:

I recall glacier crossings and using axe and crampons on The Galhoppiggen (sp) when I was there in august about 15 years ago.
peterd - on 12 Jun 2012
In reply to benward1009:

You don't normally need ice axe & crampons to climb Galdhoppigen. I recall a dodgy descent of steep hard snow off the top of Glittertind where we wished we'd taken axes, but we'd left them behind to save weight when backpacking.

Maybe just take a lightweight axe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.