/ Box Hill for Olympics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pids - on 14 Jun 2012
Just received my tickets for Box Hill for the Olympics - now need to work out how I get there.
Travelling from Birmingham, is it feasible to drive there (likely road closures and parking problems) or best to get train into London then back out again to Box Hill (is there a train station nearby?)
Or best to go down night before and spend some time in London first ?

Getting tickets is good but leads to mega expense and travel hassles I suppose, oh well
lost1977 - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Pids:

nearest stations are most likely boxhil and westhumble or dorking both can be got to from vicoria i belive
Irk the Purist - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Pids:

Lucky you. I live less than 10 miles away and am not allowed to see it.

It has it's own station Box Hill and Westhumble. Dorking is close by too and a bigger station with more trains. You can get there via Reading from Birmingham I believe and can avoid London that way.

Parking on the day will be an absolute nightmare I imagine and there are likely to be road closures. I'd stay nearby the night before and instead of spending time in London, enjoy the Surrey Hills. Maybe even bring the mountain bike because it's pretty nice round there really. Then you can cycle to the event and avoid the inevitable traffic.

lost1977 - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Eric the Red:

is it really tickets only (i live about 12 miles away)
SteveRi - on 14 Jun 2012
Box Hill is tickets, stand where you like for most of the route though. Women's road race for us.
balmybaldwin - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Pids:

there will be secure cycle parking at box hill if you do bike in from further out (I still wouldn't take anything expensive though!)

Jim Hamilton - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Pids:

If it were me I think I'd drive and approach from the east of Dorking. Park up at somewhere like Brockham, and then bike up to Box Hill. I wouldn't fancy the likely crowds at Westhumble station, especially when everyones trying to get home.
woolsack - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to steveri: What a bloody piss take. Just about sums up the whole money grabbing affair that in this case you have to pay to stand by a public highway. Thankyou Lord Coe of Monaco
Swirly - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to woolsack: I hate Sebastian Coe.
tim000 - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Pids: i`d drive to near the coarse (10-15mile away) then ride in from there.
Liam M - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to steveri) What a bloody piss take. Just about sums up the whole money grabbing affair that in this case you have to pay to stand by a public highway. Thankyou Lord Coe of Monaco

Not that I necessarily agree with the way it's all been handled, but I believe the bit of Box Hill that is being ticketed is technically a private road owned by the NT. That is in part what has lead to a lot of the difficulty relating to spectator access.
tim000 - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Liam M: box hill is NT owned . they are the ones that are charging . but the road has been resurficed , extra bike racks and a big screen will be erected.so they need to recoup the money(and probably make a profit) plenty of other places on public roads that are free to stand and watch from . thats what i will be doing.
woolsack - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to tim000: Thanks, I thought the whole thing was under lock and key as it were
nniff - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Pids:

I think the NT are also worried about the flora at Box Hill being trampled to death and want to exercise some control over the numbers.

At least you can stand at the side of the road up the hill and see, which is more than could be said of the Ranmore Common loop - which is considerably steeper (and has a shorter recovery time and a mental descent - up through Westhumble and down to Dorking).

It's walking distance from home to my selected spot on the loop in any case :o)

If you can get a train to Reading from Birmingham, the train from there goes to Box Hill & Westhumble and Dorking Deepdene (not Dorking, although they're adjacent). Either BH&W or DD would do although the former is better. The service is infrequent at best and you'd do well to check carefully.
Steve John B - on 14 Jun 2012
In reply to Pids:
>
> Getting tickets is good but leads to mega expense and travel hassles I suppose, oh well

My stepdad's working (volunteering) as a marshall - it's the same for them!
lost1977 - on 16 Jun 2012
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to Pids)
> [...]
>
> My stepdad's working (volunteering) as a marshall - it's the same for them!

looks like i will be a steward for this as well as other Olympic events and getting paid rather well for it
hill_start_12 on 17 Jun 2012 - host86-149-157-110.range86-149.btcentralplus.com
Both Southern and South West Trains will be operating an enhanced service to Box Hill & Westhumble and Dorking stations from London Victoria and Waterloo on 28th and 29th July. The special timetable is available to download here:

http://www.southernrailway.com/download/20202/00-special-timetable-box-hill-and-westhumble/
balmybaldwin - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Pids:

Just got my tickets... I know it doesn't cover from Brum, but did you not get a free travel card with yours?

Best bet will be drive to nearest zone 9 station, then use your travel card I imagine
hill_start_12 on 18 Jun 2012 - bioch3065.bioch.ox.ac.uk
Don't forget that Box Hill & Westhumble and Dorking stations are OUTSIDE the London travelcard zones. (Ewell East and Ewell West are the nearest Zone 6 stations.) You'll need to make sure that you buy an extension to your travelcard. (Oyster cards are also not valid beyond the Zone 6 boundary.) Expect Southern ticket inspectors to be out in force on both days at both stations.

There's more advice about travelling to Box Hill & Westhumble and Dorking on the Southern website here:

http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/games-travel/trains-to-box-hill-and-westhumble/
nniff - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to Pids:

And duff info from me - Box Hill and Westhumble is on the line from London, not Reading. Dorking Deepdene is on the line from Reading though.

They've started to put stands up at the top of Box Hill now.

Nasty accident there weekend before last - over-enthusiasm coming down the hill I believe.

There were some monsters doing sprints up it on Sunday - well done if you were one of them. I was doing OK, overtaking a reasonable number and got passed as if I were going the other way :o(

I was nearly home after a few hours out with a reasonable tally of hills, so give me a break - it's the only excuse I've got (other than being just like a real cyclist, except weaker)
balmybaldwin - on 18 Jun 2012
In reply to hill_start_12:

I think you may be right, however the travelcard in my hand says zones 1 to 9 so it may be they've included other venues in the travelcard... I know Windsor & Eton, Slough, Chesunt, Leigh on Sea, Seven Oaks, are allowed on one of the Olympic travelcards, but can't work out if box hill is.
See You Next Wednesday on 19 Jun 2012 - ipf.co.uk
In reply to Swirly:

> I hate Sebastian Coe.

Pithy. Like!
hill_start_12 on 19 Jun 2012 - vpn6186.bioch.ox.ac.uk
In reply to balmybaldwin:

See this link for a map of the routes covered by the Games Travelcard:

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/spectators/Travel/01/25/17/96/GamesTravelcardmap_Neutral.pdf

As you rightly say the Travelcard is valid on trains to Windsor & Eton, Slough, Chesunt, Leigh on Sea and Sevenoaks. Unfortunately both Box Hill & Westhumble and Dorking are excluded and outside of the Travelcard zones. If you travel to Box Hill from London, you will need to buy an extension ticket from Ewell East/West (the nearest Zone 6 stations).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.