/ Cheap fun abroad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lewismansell - on 20 Jun 2012
My friends and I are looking for some sort of Alpine-y adventure in August, driving from S. England, all got some good experience in Scottish Winter and easy stuff in Medium-high Alps. Any suggestions on a fun place we can get to for cheap above 3,000 metres?
tallsteve - on 20 Jun 2012
In reply to lewismansell:
Try the Austrian German border. Over 3000m and quieter than much of the Alps. Also, an easy drive on excellent autobahns which are free - go through Belgium/Northern France and into Deutschland as soon as possible. I also hear the far Eastern end of the Alps - e.g. ex communist - is cheaper than most, but haven't been. If you want to hut to hut then join the Austrian Alpine Club for insurance and hut discounts.
lewismansell - on 20 Jun 2012
In reply to tallsteve: Whoops, meant 4,000. Already headed to Bavaria in July, looking for something a bit colder and higher for August.
ads.ukclimbing.com
tallsteve - on 21 Jun 2012
In reply to lewismansell:
Oh well in that case forget it, unless you're prepared to bivvy on a glacier.

Although, considering their location you could consider the huts cheap - especially with AAC(OeAV) membership or a BMC hut card. The cost of accommodation equates with a posh campsite, its just the food that could knock you flat.

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.