/ Tour contenders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
endless winter on 22 Jun 2012
Rate the tour contenders!
I say:

1.Wiggins
2.Evans
3.van den Broeck
4.Hesjedal
5.Samuel Sanchez
6.Menchov
7.Frank
8.Nibali
9.leipheimer
10.Gesink

Mooncat - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to endless winter:

Wiggins
Evans

I'm struggling now.
carnie - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Mooncat: Valverde
Arms Cliff - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to endless winter: Peter Sagan...
Toby_W on 22 Jun 2012

After last year someone suggested getting a T-shirt made up that said:

F**K Me
It's Tommey V

So I'd add him as a long shot.

Cheers
Toby
link - on 22 Jun 2012

Rolland for top 10 I think
Liam M - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Arms Cliff:
> (In reply to endless winter) Peter Sagan...

I could see him taking a stage or two, but not sure about the gc.
link - on 22 Jun 2012

Also I think Frank is a danger. He has been consistent throughout the season. He has been playing down his chances... team politics... having to ride the giro... tired legs... TT kilometers etc. The usual Schleck excuses, but I can see him quietly staying highly placed in GC then smashing one stage when everyone has forgot him.

Not sure how Hesjedal will perform. I'd expect him to be goosed after the Giro!
balmybaldwin - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to link:

I'm not sure, he just doesn't seem to have done anything this year apart from a couple of attacks on the tour de Suisse, the first of which he seemed to blow up and almost get caught by the top, and the second on the last day seemed like a tactical error. He also still can't TT
interdit - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Toby_W:
> (In reply to endless winter)
>
> After last year someone suggested getting a T-shirt made up that said:
>
> F**K Me
> It's Tommey V
>
> So I'd add him as a long shot.

I like Voeckler, but it's not a good year so far.

Abandoned Critérium du Dauphiné and Route du Sud, and is missing the national champs to try and sort his dodgy knee out.
John Rushby - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to interdit:

He'll be a marked man this year, plus he got into yellow after Flecha and Hoogerland splatted.

IMHO it will be an Evans Wiggins love in - a few others might take yellow for a short while but I tihnk we are looknig at an Anquetil / Poulidor scenario.
endless winter on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

I'm waiting on Chris Frome to go up yours and ride away in the mountains and leave wiggo to suffer, then force Sky to ride for him. No? Oh wait that was in Spain :P
fxceltic on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to endless winter: theres nobody outside of wiggo and cadel who has a sniff, barring accidents/ injury.

Frank will lose about 6 or 7 mins over the TTs and I cant see wiggo losing that in the hills

Ive been trying to get odds from a bookie on Wiggo, Evans and froome in that order on the podium, but so far havent been able to.
Dave Kerr - on 22 Jun 2012
> (In reply to John Rushby)
>
> I'm waiting on Chris Frome to go up yours and ride away in the mountains and leave wiggo to suffer, then force Sky to ride for him. No? Oh wait that was in Spain :P

When Wiggo wasn't at his best.
tim000 - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to endless winter: wiggo beat froome by quite a way in a recent TT . plus in the vaulta wiggo stuggled on the steep climbs due to the injury. would be good if froome could try and stay up there in the GC to give other teams a bit of a problem though. he`s not been well early in the year but seems to have got over it not .
Chris the Tall - on 22 Jun 2012
Wiggins and Evans are the favourites, and I'd go for Sammy Sanchez for third - he always seems to be there or therabouts.

But the fact that neither Wiggo or Evans are that great in the mountains means that's theres the opportunity for someone unfancied to sneak away and steal a big gap.

Maybe Janez Brajkovic of Astana, or Christian Vandevelde of Garmin.
Dave Kerr - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Vande velde is reported to be riding in support of Hesjedal and at 36 doesn't look like surprise material to me.

Both Wiggo and Evans are good enough to limit the pure climbers in the alps and take minutes off them in the mountains especially with this years route.

But then the tour always throws up suprises doesn't it?
Chris the Tall - on 22 Jun 2012
In reply to Dave Kerr:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> Both Wiggo and Evans are good enough to limit the pure climbers in the alps and take minutes off them in the mountains especially with this years route.
>
Presume you meant to say "time trials" rather than "mountains" ....

I could see someone doing what ciappucci did in 1990, get a 10 minute lead cos no one thinks you're a contender, and hold on to at least a podium finish.

I'd be amazed if hejedal finishes in the top 10 - look how conto struggled in the tour after winning the giro last year. The days of Roche are long gone. Mind you, Roche jnr might be a good bet for a top ten finish.

Dave Kerr - on 23 Jun 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
> [...]
> Presume you meant to say "time trials" rather than "mountains" ....
>

Whoops. Yes.

I think the absence of a strong contender might lead to the kind of Chiapucci action you suggest.

I'm quite excited! I like it when there isn't an obvious dominating favorite
interdit - on 25 Jun 2012
In reply to interdit:
> (In reply to Toby_W)

> I like Voeckler, but it's not a good year so far.
>
> Abandoned Critérium du Dauphiné and Route du Sud, and is missing the national champs to try and sort his dodgy knee out.

He's made the lineup.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voeckler-set-to-ride-tour-de-france?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel...
ads.ukclimbing.com
balmybaldwin - on 25 Jun 2012

Ah ha, just booked my Chunnel tickets to hop over and watch stage 3 - hadn't planned to go at all this year, but as they are going to Boulogne I couldn't resist a day trip!

Really hoping Wiggo makes it through the first week this year, and has a chance for a real crack at it. I don't want to get my hopes up, and I think having seen more of the stage profiles it may not be as tailored to his style as I first thought - supposedly the steepest tour ever (having said that he did all right on the steep stuff in La Vuelta last year).
Mr Fuller on 25 Jun 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: Yeah, I'm really hoping he can stay out of the crashes that seem to be so prevalent in the first weeks's racing.

Cadel showed last year that being able to churn (and gurn) up the steep hills can be enough, even if he couldn't stay with the accelerations of Contador and Schleck. Cadel was labelled a diesel engine a few times, which probably applies to Wiggins too, and though the two of them grinding up a hill may not be quite as incredible as Scheck and Contador doing track-stands and suicidal accelerations, it should be no less entertaining or inspirational.
ablackett - on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to endless winter: Tonight 2030, 5 Live, there is a tour de france preview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k6dyg

balmybaldwin - on 26 Jun 2012
Cake - on 27 Jun 2012
Wiggins may be the favourite, but I just saw that the bookies have him at 11 to 8. Who's gonna bet on that with 200 other riders there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.