/ First family outing....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
geordieflip - on 25 Jun 2012
Hi,

im a single parent with 2 children, my son is 8 who climbs around 6A and my daughter who is 6 and clims around 4.

I want to take them away in the summer somewhere nice and quiet to do some easy walking and camping (with facilities, not wild) with an easy fun crag close by (routes higher than typical grit routes, easy to set up top rope systems, a pleasant walk in and out of, easy ascent/descent routes, loads of nice easy kids routes)

Any ideas? I just want them to have an amazing first time outdoor experience.

cheers
Trangia - on 25 Jun 2012
In reply to geordieflip:

Clecy in Normandy would be an ideal destination and within half a day's drive of Calais. Dieppe even nearer.

Excellent campsite, fun crag within walking distance, canoeing, lovely walks through the Normandy countryside - buy cider and cheese from the farms.
SFM - on 25 Jun 2012
In reply to geordieflip:

Does it have to be in this country or are you looking to travel abroad?

Iain Peters - on 25 Jun 2012
In reply to geordieflip:

If it's this country. I recommend West Cornwall and in particular Halldrine Cove at Bosigran:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2706

Loads of shorter routes on the slopes behind the main crag, a low tide rock pool, basking sharks, seals and dolphins if you're lucky. Alison Rib at Bosigran is a 3* mod/easy Diff. Handy for the beaches at Sennen, (also good beginners' routes) St Ives etc. The Geevor Tin MIne is well worth a visit and Land's End for a 'theme park' type day out.

There's usually a family friendly seasonal farm campsite at nearby Morvah, hostel accommoation and camping at Zennor.

Bosigran (The Count House) is the base for the annual CC Family Meet which has been running successfully now for over 25 years with kids of all ages having a great time on and off the crags.
geordieflip - on 25 Jun 2012
In reply to geordieflip:

Sorry I should have mentioned that its for UK climbing. We unfortunately live in Ipswich (very flat)
FrJ on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to geordieflip:

The Forestry Commission site in the Forest of Dean has good family facilities, with a wide range of activities to hand. Trees at the top make top rope systems easy. Descent can be a bit slippy, but not too problematic.

Dorest is also well equipped and, in my experience, gets more sun and better weather than much of the country, which all helps with the outdoor experience.
Offwidth - on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to Iain Peters:

I'd second those recommendations. I'd add there are no midges in the summer unlike many good climmbing areas for kids and they can learn to surf at Sennen plus there is the The Eden Project.
ads.ukclimbing.com
alpine69 - on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to geordieflip:

have a look at jersey , looks like there is plenty to do , and not just climbing , the weather should be ok to do lots of outdoor stuff and not just climbing .

jersey have a climbing club scence and they should be easily tracked down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.