/ Run Oxford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Indy - on 25 Jun 2012
Hi, Gonna be in Oxford for the weekend and was wondering if anyone knew of any good running routes in or around the place.

Checked out GarminConnect but couldn't find anything that took my fancy. The obvious one is the Thames path so can anyone with some local knowledge better that?

Distance 3 to 5 miles preferably off road.
Cheers
kevinknights - on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to Indy: Drive up to shotover - west of the city beyond the ringroad and batter yourself on the marked woodland trails there.
Bobling - on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to Indy:

You are right, Thames path is the obvious choice. The University Parks are OK though a bit too much of a track for my taste, but you can extend them by heading off up or down the Cherwell river. If you go down river the path through "Mesopotamia" is lovely until it terminates at a road. If you go up river (After crossing rainbow bridge) a map is useful as you get into stile hopping cow-dodging footpath land almost immediately.

Ahh it brings it all back to me, lovely place, sod all climbing though.
NickD - on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to Indy: I used to run north from the city centre up the canal path to Wolvercote then down the river. It's about 7-8 Km(ish), and you can add or subtract distance if you want to.
NickD - on 26 Jun 2012
Here you go I made you a thing: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5530903 (4.5m/7.2Km)
Solaris - on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to Indy:

Good off road running (for Oxford, anyway!) around Boars Hill. 5 mile loops are easy to construct from the city centre but the first mile and last mile or so will be on road. One possibility at about 5 miles would be Cumnor Hill which has great views.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=448500&y=202500&z=120&sv=448500,202500&st=4&am...

This website may be useful:
http://ouccc.objectis.net/training/route-maps/

HTH
yorkshireman - on 26 Jun 2012
In reply to Solaris:

2nd for Boars Hill - it obviously depends where you're running from but Oxford is pretty small.
Indy - on 27 Jun 2012
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thanks all, wasn't really expecting much but some really cracking suggestions and resources there. Will be based off the Abingdon road near RedHill (?) park and ride so Boars Hill sound just about perfect.

I have a sneaky suspicion that we'll be making a few trips to Oxford over the next few months so will no doubt be trying some other runs as well.

Thanks again everyone.
Solaris - on 27 Jun 2012
In reply to Indy:

You'll be well placed for Boars Hill there.

It'd be worth printing off the relevant sections of the 1:25K map to navigate yourself over to the west side of the bypass (=A34). Basically the easiest route to avoid tarmac would be to head for the bridge over the lakes and the railway line and follow the path that leads from New Hinksey to Sth Hinksey. The path to S Hinksey over the fields and under the pylons from further south near the roundabout is pretty sketchy.

Once you are on the yellow immediately west of the A34, the world is your oyster and you can run for miles without seeing a soul and all on lovely muddy paths!
mountain.martin - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Indy:

From Red hill it's very quick to get onto the river thames at Donnington bridge or at the ring road, then very nice flat running along the tow path into town at folley bridge. If you wanted to stay off road you would probably have to return the same way, but lots of people run on road (pavement) around town.

Lots of other runners, cyclists mand walkers along the tow path it is a nice place to run.
Solaris - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to mountain.martin:
> (In reply to Indy)
>
> From Red hill it's very quick to get onto the river thames at Donnington bridge or at the ring road, then very nice flat running along the tow path into town at folly bridge.

And then from Folly Bridge a quick loop of Christ Church meadow before heading back down the tow path to Donnington Bridge. That'd be about 5 miles with the ChCh meadow bit on hard pack path.

Solaris - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Indy:

Just seen your post on the BG thread: get up onto Boars Hill: it's not quite as flat as you seem to imagine! (Not the Lakes, mind!)
Indy - on 02 Jul 2012
In reply to Solaris:

Having got back last night just wanted to say a big thank you to all who offered advice.

The reason for the Oxford trip was to support a good friend that had had a bad medical diagnosis. I wasn't able to get out that much but did do 2x4 mile loops along the Thames and up through Oxford.

As I said I'm sure we'll be back a good few times over the coming months so will have plenty of chances to try out other routes suggested. Am particularly looking forward to Boars Hill.

Thanks again people, much appreciated!!!
ads.ukclimbing.com
Solaris - on 02 Jul 2012
In reply to Indy:

Hi - I was thinking of you as I was avoiding the cows and squelching through the mud up on Boars Hill yesterday afternoon.

Sorry to hear about the cause of your trip, but I hope that the runs helped.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.