/ Which country has the technically hardest highest peak?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TOS on 28 Jun 2012 - 10.166.8.214 [dab-bhx1-nat-blade-4-50.dab.02.net]
I was doing a quiz the other day, guessing countries of the world from their flags. If you couldn't get them there was a 'hint' button where it would list the some facts for the country, including the highest point.

So it got me wondering; which country has the technically hardest highest peak?....

Is it something well known, or is it some obscure rock tower in an African desert somewhere(?).
Tim Chappell - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa:

I suspect Wales has the technically easiest highest peak, with a railway up it and all.

I gather the biggest hill in Hungary is, pretty literally, a walk in the park.
999thAndy on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Switzerland has a railway up to the top of the Kleine Matterhorn...
paul-1970 - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa:
K2, in Pakistan, is certainly going to be in a list of hardest highest nation peaks. There are, perhaps, many technically harder mountains in the world, but few are also the highest summit in their country.

To be pedantic, the highest point of the Vatican City is St Peter's Basilica. So maybe this is the easiest highest summit as all that is required is a set of stairs or maybe even an elevator ride!
TOS on 28 Jun 2012 - 10.166.8.214 [dab-bhx1-nat-blade-9-50.dab.02.net]
In reply to paul-1970:
> (In reply to Gaupa)
> There are, perhaps, many technically harder mountains in the world, but few are also the highest summit in their country.
>

Yeah, it was this i was wondering.

Not hardest overall, but hardest technically, and a country high point.

Akers - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to paul-1970: Have you walked up those stairs in the dome with all those people? K2 would be easier!
TOS on 28 Jun 2012 - 10.166.8.214 [dab-bhx1-nat-blade-1-50.dab.02.net]
In reply to Akers:

According to some posters on UKC, Everest should be up there as one of the easiest high points; you don't even have to walk, the sherpas will simple drag you up it... ;-)
aln - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to Gaupa)
>
>
> I suspect Wales has the technically easiest highest peak, with a railway up it and all.

Isle of Man also has a railway up its highest peak.

aln - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa: Somewhere in Holland?
Gordon Stainforth - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa:

Trouble is the altitude question makes it impossible to answer.
TOS on 28 Jun 2012 - 10.166.8.214 [dab-bhx1-nat-blade-10-50.dab.02.net]
In reply to aln:

'technically the hardest'?

Really?......
aln - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa: Really. The altitude is a bitch as well.
Moondancer - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to aln:

The highest point in The Netherlands is definitely not the easiest, as it is a potentially active volcano:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Scenery
In reply to Moondancer:
That peak is on one of the Netherlands' colonies in the Caribbean.

By that standard, Britain's highest peak is very difficult and highly glaciated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Paget

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to Gaupa)
>
> Trouble is the altitude question makes it impossible to answer.

"Impossible"? For sure, extra altitude becomes a factor in the difficulty. You could also say that the proximity to the poles makes it a difficult or less-quantifiable question.

But the original question simply poses a list of mountains (highest peaks of countries of the world) and asks which is the hardest peak to climb. Far from impossible, one simply needs a list and imagination to address the unquantifiable aspects.

Mark Bull - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa:

Mount Kenya?
beardy mike - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa: Trango towers - high AND fricking hard anybody?
In reply to mike kann:
Hard, yes. But they're not the highest peak in the country they're in!
In reply to paul-1970: Have I misunderstood the question? I thought he was asking whats the hardest, highest climb and what country it was in? Or did he mean what country has the hardest, highest technical peak?
dsh - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to mike kann:

He means out of every country in the world, which one's highest point is technically hardest to reach. I assume he means by it's easiest route otherwise you could have snowdon by the Indian Face or something.
ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to dsh: Blimey - that's nigh on impossible to say isn't it?
In reply to mike kann:

A 30m high rock stack on some obscure Pacific Island state would win if it was a very hard technical climb by it's easiest route.

Ok, Mt Kenya - does anyone know a harder technical peak that's also a country high point?

Btw, I don't know why this thread has ended up in Expedition and Alpine (?!), I posted it in the Pub, which is where it belongs
IainRUK - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa: Puncak Jaya?
In reply to Mark Bull:
> (In reply to Gaupa)
>
> Mount Kenya?

Didn't see this. I think it will take some beating, but I don't know the answer.
TOS on 28 Jun 2012 - 10.166.8.214 [dab-bhx1-nat-blade-8-1.dab.02.net]
In reply to IainRUK:

Mt Kenya is harder I believe(?)
IainRUK - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa: I'd have thought K2 would be, but its hard to separate technical with objective difficulty which I think he wants to do. In simple death rates K2 must be the hardest..
In reply to Gaupa: I know technically it's not a country, but it is big enough to be - Baffin - Mt Odin. Worthy of consideration... even if only for an honourable mention ;)
Moondancer - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to paul-1970:

Although it doesn't really matter (and doesn't answer the thread's main question), I just wanted to point out that the two are technically different. Saba is part of The Netherlands (it's a municipality), whereas South Georgia is under the jurisdiction of the UK, bot not part of it. Therefore, if you look at a list of highest points in each country, Ben Nevis will be listed for the UK and Mount Scenery on Saba will be listed as the highest point in The Netherlands.

Cameron94 on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa: Scotland's in pinn, K2 has nothing on it ;-)

edunn on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Cameron94:
> (In reply to Gaupa) Scotland's in pinn, K2 has nothing on it ;-)

Im pretty sure Ben Nevis is the highest point in Scotland.
edunn on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa:

What about Khan Tengri (Kazakhstan)- 7010m Russian 5a?
paul-1970 - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Moondancer:
Fair enough, I suppose. And I did think about this later when surmising that, of course, everyone would immediately say that Denali is the highest peak of the United States, even though it's on a seperate part of the continent, and only connected to the greater part of the United States by a thousand miles or so of Canada or the inside passage of the Pacific. If Mauna Kea on Hawaii was another 10,000 or so feet higher, it would be the highest peak of the United States - and I would have no difficulty in identifying it as such. So the few thousand miles of Atlantic that separate the mainland of the Netherlands from Mt Scenery are not dissimilar, and to dismiss this claim, as I did, is wrong.

I think you'd get a few puzzled looks, however, if you said you were planning a trip to the Netherlands and then came back with a deep tan and Caribbean photos!
no_more_scotch_eggs - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to paul-1970:

its the same for both spain and portugal- teide on tenerife is the highest pt in spain, and pico in the azores is for portugal.

and france's southmost point is in s america (french guiana is an overseas department, i believe the residents are EU citizens)
Andes - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
Reunion which is also fully part of France and the EU is further south, and I think there are other uninhabited islands in the Indian Ocean even further south.
Andes - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to paul-1970:
Hawaii is further from Washignton DC (the national capital) than Saba is from The Hague. Denali is probably nearly as far away from the capital.
Nath93 - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to Gaupa: Suppose if you were climbing K2 by something like the Magic Line or the North Ridge then it would be a tougher over all challenge than something like Mt.Kenya.

Suppose its a matter of self opinion really, one mans Snowdon is another mans K2 !
Cameron94 on 04 Jul 2012
In reply to edunn: Yeah it was just a joke that I was expecting nath93 to pick up at some point. I was aware of the Ben being higher than the In Pinn.

Nath93 - on 12 Jul 2012
In reply to Cameron94: Sorry Cam, left you hanging there mate haha !
Goucho on 12 Jul 2012
In reply to Gaupa: Is this via it's 'easiest' way up? Or it's hardest?

Two completely different answers depending which one it is.
Dave 88 - on 12 Jul 2012
In reply to Goucho:

I think it's "which country's high point has the technically hardest, easy way up?"

So, for example, K2 could be the 'winner' here as the easiest route is nails, there's no walk up.

I think that's what he's asking anyway!
ads.ukclimbing.com
stonemaster - on 13 Jul 2012
In reply to IainRUK: Nah. Piece of piss. Done that in 1973!....:)
edunn on 16 Jul 2012
In reply to Cameron94:

Sarcasm notoriously hard to pick up online!

Guess I did the hard owrk for him then!

;-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.