/ Running, footpain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
goldmember - on 29 Jun 2012
I am seeking some advice, I was out running during the week, only 5 miles or so at a fairly steady pace. But I seem to have caused myself some pain. It feels like bruising on the tendon, which runs on the underside of my foot, between my heel and big toe, it sticks out quite a lot, I wondering is it possible to stretch this to relief some pain? should I look at changing shoes?
Kelcat - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to goldmember: sounds like classic plantar fasciitis symptoms to me. When I get a flair up I use a tennis ball to massage/stretch the bottom of my foot - there are vids on YouTube.
highclimber - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Kelcat: Plantar Fasciitis is one of those descriptions of a symptom that means nothing like Runners knee, shin splints and Tennis elbow.

They all loosly describe a pain in a particular area but rarely helps you identify exactly what the problem is. I'd recommend seeing a podiatrist if the problem doesn't go away or gets worse.
goldmember - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to Kelcat: cheers Kelcat that sounds like a perfect diagnosis of what I have, i'll get some tennis balls. would changing shoes help?
liz j on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to goldmember:
Do you run on the roads? I was finding that my feet were hurting so switched to offroad and now they are fine.
Kelcat - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to goldmember: well despite the pedantry above your symptom match mine exactly ( uber tight tendon) that Kendal sports injuries diagnosed as PF , I now have a very light ortho insole in my shoes, but I do the tennis ball thing like any other stretch & it really really works (for me)
cbonner - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to goldmember:

Is it this muscle you are describing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexor_hallucis_brevis_muscle

Sounds like you might just have strained it a bit, and it might need some strengthening. Rest it, and start again when there's no pain.

Maybe shorten you distance a bit, and try some strengthening exercises like raising up on to your toes.

The plantar fascia supports the muscles in your foot. If the muscles are weak you will most likely over stretch it.
In reply to Kelcat: out of interest which insoles do you use? I green superfeet. trying the tennis ball thing at the minute
In reply to liz j: I was doing a mix of road and beach
In reply to cbonner: It could be, kinda feels like I have stood on a stone or pebble. bruised feeling or over stretched
ads.ukclimbing.com
cbonner - on 01 Jul 2012
In reply to goldmember:

Do you feel rubbing between the metatarsals? Like standing on a stone. Could be metatarsalgia. This is usually caused by ill-fitting shoes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.