/ IT Band Problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
balmybaldwin - on 30 Jun 2012
Anyone know a good way to relieve knee problems (specifically in the IT Band?) It's flared up today, just 10 days before I start my LEJOG ride. Currently got ice on it, and will now rest it for the next 10 days until I start, but the timing couldn't be worse! Going to see a sports masseuse this week to see if she can help in any way, but any ideas would be appreciated.
the power - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: have a look on YouTube for IT band stretches using a foam roller it worked for me
Cardi - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: Rest, rest, rest! Then youtube the appropriate stretches, foam roller and gluteus medius strengthening exercises such as clams (lying on side, external rotation of hip). Strengthening vastus medialis obliqus is a good idea too.
bobbybin - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: It may well be an over tight TFL muscle. Remember the IT band is a tendon. I doubt it's ur glutes causing the problem, but see a good sports masseur or sports therapist asap
balmybaldwin - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks for replies, I'm now a proud owner of a foam roller, and will try out some stretches tomorrow I think. Will get a sports massage in before I go hopefully
cbonner - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

IT band problems are usually due to muscle imbalances.

New research suggests that strengthening is better than stretching.

http://tinyurl.com/6sfgb5d

Note 100% success rate. A small test group, but still - worked for me.

ads.ukclimbing.com
dave frost - on 30 Jun 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: Front squats and a foam roller :-)

Sorts out everything (back squats are for sissies).

Cheers
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.