/ Large collection of unwanted film cameras - what to do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rigid Raider - on 05 Jul 2012
My M.I.L has given us three plastic bins full of film cameras. There are three OM1s, a couple of huge Russian SLRs, some flashes, a tripod, a cine camera, a twin lens reflex ad I've got a camera bag, two broken Olympus rangefinders and some other accessories.

M.I.L thinks we are going to Ebay them all individually but I'm beggared if I'm going to go to all that trouble. Any suggestions for getting rid of the lot for a reasonable amount of cash?
Fraser on 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Do camera clubs exist (I assume they do) and if so, maybe they would be interested.

Alternatively, if you have a semi-decent flash in that lot which would work with a Nikon D5000, I could send some beer tokens your way in exchange?
Blue Straggler - on 05 Jul 2012

You probably won't get "a reasonable amount" for the job lot.
I would eBay or gumtree the OM1s, eBay the cine camera, put the TLR up for sale on this forum, bin the broken stuff and either donate the big Russian things or try to sell them for a fiver each.
Partner the tripod, flashes and bag with the OM1s as "deal-sweeteners"
what I mean is that people buying up "job lots" tend to expect a total bargain, so it should be financially worthwhile to put that extra effort in. I know it's a pain though!
Richard Carter - on 05 Jul 2012

OM1's might sell, but I'd charity shop the rest. For the money you'll get it's probably not worth the hassle :-P

What's the tripod ;-)

OM1s are selling for 30 upwards on EBay, - could be worth a bit of your time?

Chris
Richard Carter - on 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Fraser:

I'd be EXTREMELY wary of putting an old flash on a D5000. If you do, check the trigger voltage first!
In reply to Richard Carter:

Agreed but it depends what the TLR and cine camera are. TLR might go for 80 (I sold mine for 90 I think) and a decent cine camera might fetch 50 or so.
Hephaestus - on 05 Jul 2012
> Any suggestions for getting rid one of the Olympuses?

I'd be interested in one if they're in good nick.

Fraser on 05 Jul 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:

Ah, ok. Thanks for the heads-up.
hokkyokusei - on 05 Jul 2012

Try a second hand camera shop. If they have resale value they'll offer you something for them. There's one round the corner from me in Bradford and they have all kinds of old film cameras in the window!
In reply to hokkyokusei:

LCE gave me 10 for an OM20 on part-exchange. I'd have got maybe 20 selling it privately, and less than 10 selling it to the shop directly instead of as part of a part-ex. A shop will probably give the OP not much more than 15 for an OM1 :-(
ads.ukclimbing.com
Rigid Raider - on 05 Jul 2012
Thanks, we need to compile a list of all the stuff then we will start offering it out.

For a few years photographers in Africa would kill for a cheap film SLR but now even they have gone digital.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.