/ Tour podium

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tiberius - on 10 Jul 2012
It's early days, but is it conceivable that after waiting so long for a victor, we may actually end up with two podium finishes this year? Dare I even begin to hope for a 1 - 2?

With Cav gradually increasing his stage win total, has it ever been better for British cycling?
fxceltic on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius: I predicted wiggins - evans - froome in that order, i still think thats how it will finish as at some point cadel will attack wiggo hard and froome will likely expend himself keeping wiggo in touch. He'll regain in the final TT and we'll be as it is now into paris.

The most annoying thing is that I found it impossible to get a price off a bookie for that finish.
In reply to fxceltic:

I predicted evans/wiggins, but more because I didn't want to be disappointed when wiggo didn't pull it of I guess.

Betfair? Make your own market, someone would have taken it.
fxceltic on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius: yeah betfair prob would have worked but I was faffing around trying to sort it on the morning of the prologue, left it too late.
Enty - on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

Whoa!! Lets at least wait until after Wednesday and Thursday ;-)

E
JLS on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Enty:

>"Whoa!! Lets at least wait until after Wednesday and Thursday ;-)"

'You saying it's not just going to be a procession to Paris now!?!
nniff - on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

Isn't it the case that Sky is only the second Britsih team to have competed too? There was Halfords team in the 80's I think, but other than that I'm struggling, and the Halfords team ran out of money before the end of the Tour I think too.

So to have three British riders doing well in a British team is great (besides which the yellow helmets are the only way I can spot Sky riders in the Peloton!)
fxceltic on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Tiberius)
>
> Isn't it the case that Sky is only the second Britsih team to have competed too? There was Halfords team in the 80's I think, but other than that I'm struggling, and the Halfords team ran out of money before the end of the Tour I think too.
>
> So to have three British riders doing well in a British team is great (besides which the yellow helmets are the only way I can spot Sky riders in the Peloton!)

I havent checked the team standings but its the leading team who wears those helmets, not team SKY, prior to yesterdays stage at least Radioshack were leading the team standings and therefore wearing the yellow helmets.

after yetserday it may be sky again though.
In reply to Tiberius:

There was a Raleigh team, but I don't know if they ever competed in the tour.

A main issue now has to be protecting wiggo. Expect to see him riding surrounded by the whole team.

Evans will attack of course, but 2 mins already, plus another long time trial still to come, he's looking at potentially having to find 4 mins. Unless he can find team or other rider support, that's going to be very difficult.
Enty - on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> >"Whoa!! Lets at least wait until after Wednesday and Thursday ;-)"
>
> 'You saying it's not just going to be a procession to Paris now!?!

Ha ha - put it this way, we're planning on having the biggest party ever here in Faucon a week on Sunday - but we're not planning it yet!

E
Enty - on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

It won't just be Evans attacking.

E
JLS on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

>"There was a Raleigh team, but I don't know if they ever competed in the tour."

The Raleigh team was Dutch and won the Tour. In the dark distant past there were national teams rather than trade teams in the Tour.
Mooncat - on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to JLS:

Yeah Jan Raas's team, there was also the Raleigh Banana team after that who did reasonably well in races in Europe.
In reply to Mooncat:

That's the one, it was the banana team I was thinking of. People often think fashion doesn't change much in cycling, but you just have to look at the banana team getup to realise just how much it does :)
Tiberius - on 12 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
> ...Dare I even begin to hope for a 1 - 2?

It was only half a joke...but can I say...you heard it here first :)
Tiberius - on 15 Jul 2012
In reply to Enty:
> ...we're planning on having the biggest party ever here in Faucon a week on Sunday - but we're not planning it yet!

Are you planning it now? Can we all come?
ripper - on 15 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius: podium looking more like 1. Wiggo, 2. Froome and 3. Mr Nibbles to me now...
Enty - on 15 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
> Are you planning it now? Can we all come?

We'll see today I guess.

E

In reply to ripper:
> (In reply to Tiberius) podium looking more like 1. Wiggo, 2. Froome and 3. Mr Nibbles to me now...

In the mountains, but Evans it the better TT, 3rd place will be interesting. However, we're writing 1 & 2 and we haven't even entered the Pyrenees yet. It's looking good, but like Enty says, maybe we should be a bit cautious.
Dave Kerr - on 15 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

Finally a bit of sensible comment on the Wiggins / Froome thing.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-froome-is-the-only-rival-to-wiggins
In reply to Dave Kerr:

Yeah, good summing, although a lot of people on here have said the same I think? I differ slightly from some people in that I'm not convinced Froome is stronger than Wiggo. He's just different, his style is to attack, then drop back. Wiggins maintains a more steady pace. Same overall time, just different ways of getting to the top.

We've already seen that Wiggins is better in the TT too. Even where Froome on a different team and able to attack, I'm not sure he'd beat Wiggo overall.
Dave Kerr - on 15 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

A lot of the comment on this issue is based on the 2011 vuelta where Wiggo was not as his best.

Also lots of folks don't seem to understand the idea of 'form' and the effect of different routes with the ballance of climbing and ITTs.

Still, Froome is an exciting prospect and I'm looking forward to see how he develops.
Tiberius - on 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

You heard it here first, you heard it here second...and no, I didn't really believe it when I first said it either :)
ads.ukclimbing.com
stonemaster - on 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Tiberius: And what are the Lotto winner numbers next week...:)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.