/ New Wheels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andrew549 on 10 Jul 2012
I'm looking at buying a new rear wheel for my road bike looking a spending up to about 150, for use mainly commuting up to about 30 miles a day as well as weekend rides. Recommendations for any wheels would be welcome.

Andy
sleavesley on 10 Jul 2012
In reply to andrew549: if you look about you could find a set of fulcrum 5 for that or just a bit more, know they were being done for 159 a month back.. Love mine, good for the price and better than most stock wheels.
Lord of Starkness - on 11 Jul 2012
In reply to sleavesley:

I've Campag Khamsins and they're as tough as old boots, whilst looking good and being lighter than most other 'entry level' wheels. They do only come with a Campag freehub, so are not compatible with Shimano / Sram cassettes.

Fulcrum wheels are just as good (made by Campag btw) - Racing 7's are equivalent of Khamsins, Racing 5's are the next step up - and you can get Shimano compatible models.
Bean Head - on 11 Jul 2012
In reply to andrew549:

I'd be inclined to avoid buying a "cheap" pair of factory wheels and blowing the budget on a good hand built rear if that's all you need.

A Mavic Open Pro rim built up with 32 spokes (or 28 if your lightweight) on the best hub you can afford would be a good option. Easier to true and maintain which would be high on my list of priorities if the bike is mainly a commuter.

CRC do an Open Pro built on to a Hope Pro 3 hub for 180, for example.

Rob
a concerned citizen - on 11 Jul 2012
In reply to andrew549: Fulcrums are good, my 5s lasted 20k miles (mostly in the winter/loaded commuting) before the rims ran out of metal.

Alternatively these are hard to beat for the price

http://tinyurl.com/cbpjlav

and will be able to be fixed by anyone.
David Hooper - on 11 Jul 2012
In reply to andrew549: superstar components do very well priced wheels on their website.

Read fulcrum wheels,they came fitted with my new Willier road bike and I cannot fault them so far.
jack89 - on 11 Jul 2012
In reply to andrew549:
Tweeks Cycles are doing Fulcrum 7s with some Continental tires for 138.
andrew549 on 11 Jul 2012
In reply to andrew549: My current rear wheel weighs 1456g with the cassette on how much would I notice the weight saving from a new wheel as this is one of the reasons I'm looking at changing and going from a 7 speed up to 10 speed.
Hat Dude on 11 Jul 2012
In reply to andrew549:
> and going from a 7 speed up to 10 speed.

That sounds like a pretty big and expensive change, have you looked into all that it entails?
andrew549 on 11 Jul 2012
In reply to Hat Dude: Yeah its going to be fairly expensive but as I'm staying on friction shifters it saves a lot of money.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Bean Head - on 11 Jul 2012
In reply to andrew549:

7 speed and friction shifters? Is it an old bike? You may have problems with the hub spacing.

Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.