Winter Climbing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Cuillin Ridge-winter traverse

Withnail - on 10 Jul 2012
Hi,

Last month I did the Cuillin ridge traverse in a day with a mate from Garbh Bheinn to Sgurr nan Gillean. A fantastic experience I cant recommend enough. Enjoyed it so much I may be going up to Skye again later this month to have another pop with another mate and try to beat my slow time.

Anyway, I'm really keen on doing the winter traverse this season so would appreciate any help/advice or info. I understand this is normally done from Sgurr nan Gillean to Garbh Bhein in winter over 2 or 3 days, abseiling many of the major difficulties. In particular I'm interested in the following:

1) Will 1 x 60M rope be ok for abseiling-in particular the Basteir Tooth-and how is this normally done? I'd rather go as light as possible and just bring a half 60M rope.

2) TD gap- what grade does this go at coming out of the sgurr dubh mhor side (conditions dependant I guess). There seems to be some conflicting reports.

3) Any other info which you think might be useful. For instance weather patterns for good conditions build up on the ridge.

cheers

Jon
... not showing 9 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums