/ Burbage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fredt on 17 Jul 2012
I went to the Burbage yesterday, with great expectations from all that I had heard about it, and I'm sorry to say I was disappointed.

My first impression, was that they had tried to copy the design of Stanage (the boulders, the bracken, the open layout) - the only thing is, it's much less appealing than Stanage. It's all grey and there isn't that much variety of walls if you think about it. They were all basically vertical or leaning.

There were lots of problems, granted, but they were all a bit samey, and there was a huge volume in the VDiff - E1 range but not a huge amount above that. Maybe It's just me.

But am I the only one who thought it was a bad copy of Stanage?
yogi2749 - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Fredt:

> But am I the only one who thought it was a bad copy of Stanage?

You do know its not man made right?
althesin on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Fredt: I think it was an early prototype.
mcdougal - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Fredt:

I'm not so sure. Although the bracken motif with heather accessories do evoke a Stanage-like ambience, I find that the individual touches such as split level parking, easy access ice cream and designer footpath styling give Burbage both individualism and uniqueness.
fijibaby on 17 Jul 2012 - 5e0be4e0.bb.sky.com
In reply to mcdougal: Yep. I think the disabled access to the bottom of the first part of the crag is an inclusive touch. Plus the all weather bouldering in the 'Remergance Zone' is pretty cool.
They could do with marking the holds with different colours though. All of the routes are marked in white. Confusing!
john arran - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to fijibaby:

... and they should do something about the showers - you can't turn them off and they're always cold!
Turdus torquatus on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Fredt:

The routes very rarely change as well. This is something that is well sorted out at Horseshoe Quarry, where the routes have changed whilst I've been on them.
Monk - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
> (In reply to Fredt)
>
> The routes very rarely change as well. This is something that is well sorted out at Horseshoe Quarry, where the routes have changed whilst I've been on them.

That's because the BMC own and manage Horseshoe, whereas Sheffield City Council own Burbage. It's patently obvious that things are better run when they are run by real climbers.
Ava Adore - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Fredt:

I do like the fact that when they built this place, they made it closer to the road.
mkean - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Fredt:
Do you know how we report problems with facilities at Burbage to? I was there at the weekend and went to sit on one of the cushions that are placed near the boulders but it made a funny noise and ran away; I think it may be broken.
pebbles - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to mkean: on the plus side, although the cafe is a bit of a walk from the climbing area, it does serve beer
The Pylon King on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Fredt:

It's Burbage, not Stanage - thats next door. did you try Partian Shot or Equilibrium?
Fredt on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Moderators:

I posted this in the Walls and Training Forum, why has it been moved to Rocktalk?
muppetfilter - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Fredt: It's Like Kylie and Danny Minogue, you would do Danny but all the while be thinking you would rather be up to the back wheels in Kylie.
aln - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King: I used to enjoy your posts until recently. Have you had the operation?
In reply to aln:

I found Jesus.
aln - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> I found Jesus.

That might explain it. Did he appear to you while you were under the anaesthetic?

mkean - on 17 Jul 2012
I found Jesus.

I lost one recently, was it quite well worn with a band of blue, yellow and green tape on?

Frogger - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
> The routes very rarely change as well. This is something that is well sorted out at Horseshoe Quarry, where the routes have changed whilst I've been on them.

lol!

In reply to mkean:
> (In reply to Formerly Known as Pylon King)
> I found Jesus.
>
> I lost one recently, was it quite well worn with a band of blue, yellow and green tape on?

it had blood on it
mkean - on 17 Jul 2012
Sounds like mine, I use him as a bouldering mat sometimes. The lord works in mysterious ways but is really handy when the landing is flooded :-)
ads.ukclimbing.com
tmawer - on 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Fredt:
I see what you did there ;)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.