/ Camera reommendation / TG1 review

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mmmhumous on 18 Jul 2012
Im looking for a camera which fits easily in the pocket, and is suitable for:

-Taking action shots i.e. folk climbing/falling off
-Landscape shots
-Photos in the dark.
-HD video
-Use without a tripod

I currently using a 3.2 MP Phone camera:

For photos of subjects which 2-5 metres away, it meets my needs.
For subjects further away, a zoom would be nice
For Landscape shots, the fine detail is rather lacking. I tend to stitch 4-5 shots together, which look fine on Facebook etc, but not when blown up.
In low light/darkness its terrible, images are very grainy indeed, with very poor saturation.

The main thing Im after is compactness and ease of use. So it needs to easily fit in my pocket, and be ready to shoot as soon as I pull it out. So Im guessing that means I need either a compact with a decent lens, or a system camera which has an integrated flash and slim line standard lens ?

Is that right?

Does anything else meet my requirements?

Ive been looking at the Olympus TG-1 which seems to meet my needs, as its pretty small, and you can strap on a fish-eye and a telephoto lens.

Im not sure I actually need the waterproof/shockproof/Bear Grills proof/GPS features it comes with, but theyre all nice to haves.

Is there anything else I should be considering (my budget is <350 for the camera, flash and a basic zoom lens?

Does anyone have a TG-1?
Dan Arkle - on 18 Jul 2012
It looks OK, almost all modern cameras are pretty good, so you are unlikely to make a 'wrong ' decision . You would be paying a lot on cash, bulk and weight for the ruggedness, which might not be worth it if you look after your kit.
IMHO wide angle and tele strap-ons are probably not worth the considerable extra expense and hassle. If you want a bigger zoom just get a superzoom to start with.

I followed lemmings advice and got a 2nd hand canon s90 for 150, it's about as small as you can go while keeping image quality high. I love it, and the s95 and s100 are probably even better.
PaulWatson - on 18 Jul 2012
In reply to mmmhumous: I have a Fujifilm F500EXR compact about 170- absolutely brilliant. it is the best thing I ever bought. You can strap the case onto your harness and shoot with one hand. The sports setting works well for high zoom shots of climbers and it has excellent low light performance.
tspoon1981 on 18 Jul 2012
In reply to mmmhumous: one of these http://www.lytro.com/camera

I keep recommending it, its a perfect little camera.
Richard Carter - on 19 Jul 2012
In reply to tspoon1981:

While I heartily support Lytro and their research, I think a lot of work needs to be done yet. The camera just doesn't have the resolution needed and is a bit of a one trick pony. I supect their next camera will be a game changer.
Blue Straggler - on 19 Jul 2012
In reply to tspoon1981:

Have you GOT a Lytro? I'd be interested to see some photos taken by someone not involved on the Lytro research/marketing team!
Richard Carter - on 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

As far as I know you can't buy them in the UK yet - I want one to play around with!
Blue Straggler - on 19 Jul 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:

That's what I thought, but then I don't know where tspoon81 is based!
mmmhumous on 29 Jul 2012
In reply to mmmhumous:

Thanks all.

I like the look of the Lumix DMC-TZ30. In particular, the "touch to focus" feature, and the continuous shooting rate u(pto 10 shots per second).

Should I consider any other options? (as stated above, I don't need GPS, and 10x optical zoom are probably sufficient).
rgd1977 - on 29 Jul 2012
In reply to mmmhumous:

I got a Canon S95 off amazon last week for 199.95, great camera at a really good price.
IoanTataru - on 30 Jul 2012
In reply to mmmhumous: Canon S100
ads.ukclimbing.com
Pursued by a bear - on 30 Jul 2012
In reply to mmmhumous: I've recently got one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006Q9J2SU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_pdp_rev_itm_title_1 - not the best camera you'll ever own, but it's very pocketable, easy to use and gives good quality images for a camera of its sort.

Sure, I'll take other cameras when I'm specifically out doing photography but if I'm going off to do something else I'll pop it in my pocket just in case.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.