/ Insurance for 8 month trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ged Desforges - on 30 Jul 2012
My girlfriend and I are off on a trip to the states and Asia for 8 months. Looking into insurance, it seems that bmc gets incredibly expensive once you go over the 90 day mark. Does anybody know of any companies that offer more reasonable rates for long trips, covering rock climbing and trekking?

Ged
Run_Ross_Run - on 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Ged Desforges:

Don't forget companies like Thomas cook. Were away for 9 months and got cover With them. Seemed quite cheap compared to the rest. You may need to add cover for some activities as a bolt on though. Ours only covers indoor climbing and walking up to 2500 but more could be added.
cmb621 - on 30 Jul 2012

Try STA Travel... They are really reasonable. Am using them for my trip to South America - no experience of claim mind...
tprebs - on 30 Jul 2012

Austrian Alpine Club. Check out their insurance which you get with the membership. It might cover what you are looking for

The below link covers what insurance you get
http://www.aacuk.org.uk/Files/WWS_Folder_2012_E_ebook.pdf
tprebs - on 30 Jul 2012
In reply to tprebs:
> (In reply to Ged Desforges)
>
> Austrian Alpine Club. Check out their insurance which you get with the membership. It might cover what you are looking for
>
> The below link covers what insurance you get
> http://www.aacuk.org.uk/Files/WWS_Folder_2012_E_ebook.pdf

Just noticed that most the insurance only covers Europe
climbingxcat - on 30 Jul 2012
We've just taken out cover for a year long trip with Nomad or something, you find them going to Rough Guides, and then insurance
bullybones - on 30 Jul 2012
Good question - why is the 90 days such an issue? It's never occurred to me to ask the BMC, but usually it's too late by the time you're organising this stuff.

Columbus will do insurance after you've already departed, if that helps.
Ged Desforges - on 30 Jul 2012
Cheers all, will gI've those a try. Good shout on the AAC, I've used them in the past and fOrgot about them
ads.ukclimbing.com
1poundSOCKS - on 30 Jul 2012
In reply to cmb621: I've had experience of trying to claim from STA and my claim being rejected. I had an allergic reaction, and the exemption was in the literature they gave me, but there's a lot of it, and for some reason they placed in the midst of a clause about suicide and self harm! Oh, and I also discovered a clause which excluded any claims where I had deliberately put myself in any danger...I had paid for mountaineering cover!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.