/ Great Wolfrey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon Caldwell - on 06 Aug 2012
I know access has traditionally been iffy, and I know it's on Access land.

Would I be asking for trouble if I tried to climb there ion Saturday (the day before the Glorious 12th)?
Lankyman - on 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Toreador: I THINK landowners are allowed to close off public access for a certain number of days (28?) to go about their business so you may be turned away at any time of the year. Granted, for a grouse moor this is more than likely going to be during or close to the shooting season. I don't know who the owners are but have you tried contacting the YDNPA?
Simon Caldwell - on 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Karl Lunt:
> landowners are allowed to close off public access for a certain number of days (28?) to go about their business

I think you're right. But there's no mention of closures on the Open Access site so I'm not sure where this would be advertised.

> have you tried contacting the YDNPA?

I haven't but last time I did about a different crag they told me (2 weeks later!) to check the signs at the access points - not much use as we'd already have made the journey by then!
Derby Grit - on 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Toreador:
> Would I be asking for trouble if I tried to climb there on Saturday (the day before the Glorious 12th)?

There shouldn't be any problem on the Saturday.

And since shooting isn't allowed on Sundays it's "unlucky Monday 13th" for the grouse this year!

Offwidth - on 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Derby Grit:

Went up today. Thousands of birds all over the place, just waiting to be shot ... a bit sad really. Nice little crag, first time we've climbed a crag out below VS in a day in ages, plus Great Wolfrey Buttress of course. Also rescued a sheep from the crevasse behind the crag.. been there a while from the smell. Watch your step as you move around the top: some big holes partly hidden up there. Only a handful of votes for the whole crag on UCK....blimey!
Bulls Crack - on 11 Aug 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Check Natural England's Open Access website
Offwidth - on 11 Aug 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Nothing there? Just a dog ban for the 5 year period.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Simon Caldwell - on 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Offwidth:
Cheers. Decided to make the most of the brief appearance of summer and went to Crag Lough instead :)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.