/ NVA Speed of Light Show Edinburgh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chrisprescott - on 11 Aug 2012
http://www.eif.co.uk/speedoflight

Just wondering if any of the Edinburgh based photographers have been out to photograph this yet? I'm hoping to get out either tonight or tomorrow if the weather is half decent, any suggestions on good spots to shoot from?
rallymania - on 13 Aug 2012
In reply to chrisprescott:

haven't been yet, but it is on my list of things to do this week hopefully

how did you get on?
chrisprescott - on 13 Aug 2012
In reply to rallymania: Yeah pretty good, although I wasted a lot of time trying to work out the best place to shoot from. Shooting looking down at the web of paths across the top of Salisbury Crags seemed to be the best. Hoping to go out again this week at some point so will post some results after that.
J Brown - on 14 Aug 2012

Is it necessary to buy a ticket to watch this from Arthur's Seat?
dek - on 14 Aug 2012
In reply to J Brown:
> (In reply to chrisprescott)
>
> Is it necessary to buy a ticket to watch this from Arthur's Seat?

I though that too, as the website is a bit vague. Seems to be a charge for the runners participating in the event only though.
I wandered up to find a few video teams, and photographers shooting it. It Goes on till just past eleven, you do need a torch for getting off the hill!
J Brown - on 14 Aug 2012
In reply to dek:

Excellent - thanks for that. I'm hoping to get up over the next week or so. There seems to be fireworks at the Castle each night around 10.30 - so that might be a good time for photos.

Thanks.
chrisprescott - on 15 Aug 2012
In reply to J Brown: You don't need to pay unless you're taking part (I guess it would be pretty difficult to close off the whole of Holyrood Park!). I've been taken pictures of the fireworks at the tattoo pretty much every night as I can see the castle really well from my flat, just trying to work out how I can get a shot incorporating the Speed of Light show and the fireworks!

Cheers for the link Dan.
JinjaCoo - on 17 Aug 2012

I was up there last night, unfortunately without camera. Lots of people with cameras just as the stepped path approaches the shoulder over looking the NVA action area. Just up from there though, closer to the summit on the next shoulder is a nice spot which lines up the central area of the running activity with the castle and therefore fireworks behind.

Not sure if it was a coincidence or planned but there was a coming together of the groups, forming a star just about the time the fireworks kicked off. Strangely, there were no photographers there. It is higher and maybe picks up more of the street light from behind but think it might still be worth going back. I didn't go to the top but it would possibly get an even better shot of the action - but again more street lights too.
chrisprescott - on 17 Aug 2012
In reply to JinjaCoo: Thanks for the tip, is that the shoulder just before you go up the final rocky bit to the summit?
JinjaCoo - on 17 Aug 2012

Yes, sorry, not the best description.

If you head up the path from Pollock Area that traverses above the Hunter's Bog area and turns to steps just as it reaches the ascent of the main summit. Looking ahead, you keep going to take the main path which circles round to the summit. However, if you turn right, there is a short, steep ascent on to a little shoulder which lies beneath the summit. It lines up roughly with the castle and the center of where all the paths and therefore action come together. Approx grid ref: NT 274 730. Reasonably flat. Go higher towards the summer and more of the castle becomes visible but less likely to find a spot to get your tripod sitting well.

Good luck.
dek - on 17 Aug 2012
In reply to JinjaCoo:
You're quite right, there's a nasty bank of very bright street lighting in the way if you shoot over towards the castle. Going too high includes the castle, but makes those lights too prominent in shot. Just need to get there early enough to sort out a good position.
seanjc - on 17 Aug 2012
In reply to chrisprescott: So gutted I can't make it up to see this! Met a couple in the Alps a few weeks ago who are taking part and it sounded like great fun. Hopefully you guys can capture and share!
chrisprescott - on 18 Aug 2012
In reply to chrisprescott: As long as the weather stays nice tonight i'll probably head over. Thanks for the tip on the spot, will try and take some shots from there.
chrisprescott - on 19 Aug 2012
Went out last night to take some shots, didn't get there as early as i'd hoped and so missed the best of the sunset, but managed to get a couple of half decent shots. I'm hoping to get out again over the next couple of weeks so should hopefully get some better ones then.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=203356
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=203357

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.