/ Northern Cornwall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JD84 - on 11 Aug 2012
Hi,

A few of us are heading down to Cornwall next week to do 3 days on the south west coast path.

Which section of the north coast do you think has the best scenery? I'm thinking jagged cliffs and secluded beaches? What is your favourite 3 day (roughly) section of the path and why?

Any general advice also appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jon
JD84 - on 11 Aug 2012
In reply to JD84: You can include the north coast of Devon in that too actually.
Sceptical Bastard on 13 Aug 2012
In reply to JD84:

It's always hard to recommend the 'best' scenery - it's a very subjective and personal thing.

That said, IMO three sections stand out for their remoteness and ruggedness. From Hartland Point in North Devon to Bude: from Trebarwith Strand (near Tintagel) to Port Isaac: and most of the north coast of the Penwith peninsular west of St Ives.

Many of the small beaches without road access are inter-tidal (at high water there is is no beach left exposed) so carry tide tables.

My personal favourite section is Trebarwith to Port Isaac. The path is good with plenty of steep descents and ascents, the views are magnificent, and the very limited road access means it is not crowded with tourists. There is an inter-tidal beach with no road access midway along the section at Tegardock - it's popular with surfers.

In three days you could walk over half Cornwall's north coast (assuming fifteen to twenty miles a day) or rather less if you prefer an easy-going pace.

Personally, I'd avoid the Newquay area.

JD84 - on 13 Aug 2012
In reply to Sceptical Bastard: Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, that's very helpful.

Jon
ads.ukclimbing.com
Sceptical Bastard on 13 Aug 2012
In reply to JD84:
> Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply...

You're welcome.

If you walk the section from Hartland to Bude, it is worth diverting inland to Morwenstowe - the church is particularly fine. Also look out for Hawker's Hut (Google for more info) on the coast nearby.

The highest point on the north Cornwall coast is at High Cliff a mile south of Crackington Haven. IIRC it's over 730 feet high. There's an intertidal beach below it called The Strangles and another, Ruse Beach, a few hundred metres further south.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.