/ Alpspitze KG-Weg Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
thomaspomfrett on 13 Aug 2012
Hi,

My partner and I are heading down to Garmisch Partenkirchen on 7th September and looking to get in a few routes in the area. We were thinking of doing KG Weg (http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=195503) but looking at the guidebook it appears there is a snowfield between the lower and upper sections. Has anyone climbed this route around this time and do you need to take winter gear for the snowfield? I'm not loving the idea of lugging my boots & crampons up with me just for a short snow section!

Cheers

Tom
Stephi on 15 Aug 2012
In reply to thomaspomfrett:
Hi Tom,

I have done "Sonntagsausflug" just left of the KG-Weg a couple of years ago. In August, there is no snow left, it's just a large scree field which you have to cross carefully to get to the upper section. So definitly no winter gear required. However, September is quite late so it might actually snow up there. But then it's too cold and wet anyway... All the routes there have bolted belays and the harder sections have quite a few bolts in them. zou might want to take a small rack but if you're fine on easier ground, you probably won't need it!
thomaspomfrett on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Stephi: Amazing, thanks for the advice Stephi! Will see how we do weather wise, it's early September so fingers crossed it's still warm enough.
Toerag - on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to thomaspomfrett: You are unlikely to have any old snow, however the year before last it snowed on August bank holiday weekend right down to 1600m thus rendering the Mauerlaufer via ferrata on the Alpspitze out of the question according to the mountain guides when we phoned them up - they said the cables would be iced up. Good luck, and if it's a no-go then the 'Mittenwalder Hohenweg' via ferrata is a great alternative day out, as is getting out of the Alpspitze cablecar at the middle station and walking down the Hollentalklamm gorge.
Stephi on 20 Aug 2012
If you've got a car and it's too cold higher up, it's a lovely day climbing here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=11751

about 30 min drive from Garmisch, the summit is 1700 m, walk-in about 1.5 h and the climbs are extremely well bolted on solid rock, all south-facing. There are over 80 routes in all grades.
Some pictures: http://www.bergzeit-kletterteam.de/ein-wahres-sahnestuckchen-der-ross-und-buchstein/2123
John Foster - on 20 Aug 2012

Went there a few years ago in mid-late Jun and there was quite a lot of snow, although it cleared quickly. Didn't do that climb but did do an easier one further right and finished up the Alpspitze klettersteig to the summit. No need at all for winter gear when I was there - I think it's worth a punt without it and it looks like a great route.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Toerag - on 22 Aug 2012
In reply to thomaspomfrett: If it's properly wet, there is an excellent DAV indoor wall at Bad Tolz, with other walls at Weilheim, Gilching and the biggest wall in the world in Munich. Innsbruck is a good touristy place too, and engineery/science types will like the Deutsche museum in Munich (biggest engineering/technology museum in the world).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.