/ Spar Cycles Harogate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Indy - on 15 Aug 2012
Have heard a large number of positive things about Spar Cycles in Harrogate and was thinking of tentatively speaking to them about a bike.

I've just google street viewed them and I wasn't expecting to see a scene out of a Hovis advert but it appears to be an industrial estate with lots of car parts/repairers. Couldn't identify anything that looked like a bike shop. Its probably a Google screw-up but anyone know of Spar Cycles in Harrogate?

Address: 48A Camwal Road, Harrogate, HG1 4PT

Cheers
ceri - on 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy: If you look at their website ( http://www.spacycles.co.uk/about.php ) it says "Don't forget we've moved to 48a Camwal Road, Harrogate, HG1 4PT. We are still in the process of arranging the shop but if you come in and see us we will accomodate you the best we can."
So I'm sure they are there. Presumably Google went there before they moved there???
Google reviews: https://plus.google.com/114141494143466710742/about?gl=uk&hl=en
Indy - on 15 Aug 2012
In reply to ceri:

Missed that so thanks for pointing it out :)
Oceanic - on 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:

I found them to be fantastic.

They gave me excellent advice, modified an axle to make it fit my bike, then built me a set of wheels (which I am still very happy with 12 months down the line) Then they gave me a discount without me even having to ask..

It's also worth knowing that if you ask a question about bikes on the CTC forum Colin from the shop will often answer (He's 531Colin).
Steve John B - on 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy: It's Spa, not Spar!

Not visited since they moved premises but they did a fine job servicing my CB Dalesman a year or so back.
papashango - on 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:

They are really good. Just moved into the new premises, most of their business is mail-order apparently hence the warehouse.
They are very friendly and I've never heard a bad thing about them.
Richie Rich - on 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:
Nowt wrong with a bike shop in an industrial unit, if you ever want anything Cyclocross related seek out Paul Milnes in Bradford an Aladdin's cave of all things cycling with a wealth of knowledge in an industrial unit.

Don't judge a shop by its window dressing.
EeeByGum - on 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy: As someone supposedly living in London (according to your profile), why would you buy a bike from Harrogate? Are there no bike shops in London? Just curious that is all. I know at least 4 excellent bike shops in Manchester so wouldn't even think of going elsewhere. Most are competitive on price and if they are worth their salt, will order in stuff they don't normally sell if it is worth their while.
timmsy - on 25 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy: beware the owner can have a funny attitude to those who he doesn't like, before you enter. Can/ could / maybe - only witnessed it once
Indy - on 29 Aug 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to Indy) As someone supposedly living in London (according to your profile)

Yes, I'm a Londoner. Why (possibly) buy a bike so far away? Basically having trawled around London I'm finding it really really difficult to find a dealer that I feel comfortable spending my budget of about 1000 with. Its probably me just being overly cautious but its a large sum for me and I want to know that I've got the best suited bike I can possibly buy.

Obviously I've been to the usual suspects Halfords, Evans etc but really got the feeling that I was being sold a bike that suited my budget rather than one that particularly suited me. A number of people suggested going a bit more bespoke ( Condor) but cost then started to become an issue along with the fact that I just don't have the experience to make the required judgements like X or Y component which sort of in-part defeated the possible benefit.

Spa came about as I'd seen a number of people posting on forums about decent and knowledgeable advice. And yes I've also heard about their legendary rudeness. On looking at their website it seems to do some some good deals on pre-built and custom bikes. I haven't totally decided on buying from Spa just that I am going to be fairly close next month so thought I'd pop in. I think that getting the right bike is the most important thing if I have to pay for some initial servicing because Spa is too far away then I think thats a price worth paying.

BTW I'm after an all-weather commuter to do a round trip of just over 20 miles. Cyclocross bikes seem to get mentioned quite a bit.
ads.ukclimbing.com
biped - on 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:

I've bought quite a lot of stuff from them over the years. I've found them knowledgeable and helpful over the phone, but in my experience their mail order service can be woefully sloppy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.