/ New route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Supadeano86 - on 17 Aug 2012
How do you go about naming and registering a new route?

And is it harder if it's at a crag that's not been climbed before!

Cheers.
SGD - on 17 Aug 2012
In reply to Supadeano86: If its a new crag then you might as well put it on here and describe it in detail. If there are possibilities of further routes it will then be easier for yourself and others to add them. You could also log it as a new crag in the relevant area on the CC website.
Supadeano86 - on 17 Aug 2012
In reply to Supadeano86: So there's no official way of registering a new route on a crag?
john arran - on 17 Aug 2012
In reply to Supadeano86:
> (In reply to Supadeano86) So there's no official way of registering a new route on a crag?

That's right. It's entirely up to you you if you even report it to anyone at all.

There are very few 'official' things in climbing at all, which sets it apart from many of the more mainstream sports which can be far more closely regulated. That's part of what many people enjoy about climbing. Things still work - and usually work well - but with a welcome minimal role for officialdom.
alexjz - on 17 Aug 2012
In reply to john arran:
> (In reply to Supadeano86)
> [...]
>
> That's right. It's entirely up to you you if you even report it to anyone at all.
>
> There are very few 'official' things in climbing at all, which sets it apart from many of the more mainstream sports which can be far more closely regulated. That's part of what many people enjoy about climbing. Things still work - and usually work well - but with a welcome minimal role for officialdom.

good answer, a welcome change from all this official business

r0x0r.wolfo - on 18 Aug 2012
I think this guy wants to name and register this route with someone, so how would he go about that? Contact a guide book writer who is doing something for the Area I'd guess.
Jamie B - on 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Supadeano86:

Find out who publishes the definitive guide for the area, find out who collates new route data for them and establish contact. All a bit of a slog, and certainly not as simple as point-and-click, but think of it as a service to the wider climbing community who are waiting to repeat your route.

If you tell us where it is someone might be able to point you towards the relevant guidebook co-ordinator.
Supadeano86 - on 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: Second one mate, but there could be lots of possible routes as its part of an old landfill quarry.
Jamie B - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Supadeano86:

Having seen those photos, might have to take back the suggestion that publishing it would be a service to the climbing community! It looks pretty manky and I'm not sure that a guidebook editor would include it.

If you're determined to highlight it you could always create a database for it on here.
bullybones - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Supadeano86:
Malverns? Try the CC website.
Joonsy - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: was that photo the Turners Hill by Rowley Regis near the quarry? i took a look at the old quarry at Barrow Hill myself, some rock there but very overgrown and loose.
Tris - on 20 Aug 2012
Frank the Husky - on 20 Aug 2012
You're new routing on this pile of mud...you're kidding, right?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=202584?

Apart from looking like a mud slope, it's vile. Why are you bothering? No offence, but it's a fair question...not like it's a new route on one of the unpopular bits of Fair Head or the North York Moors.
Sir Chasm - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to The Vicar of Chinley: Yes, perish the thought that people should peek out of the cave and do a bit of exploring once in a while.
John Willson - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Tris: The CC new routes page is for recording routes in CC guidebook coverage areas only. Malvern isn't covered by any CC guide I'm afraid.
John
Joonsy - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs: first photo looks like blackstone rock bewdley by the gate, second photo looks like turners hill quarry at rowley regis dudley.
Michael Gordon - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Supadeano86:

Sorry but I agree with a couple of the others. That looks terrible!
Supadeano86 - on 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Michael Gordon: it's not that it's a quarry, that's just the summit listed on here, there are hundreds of rock walls averaging 12-15m in height some quite polished some very climbable, so it's there I'm looking for
In reply to Joonsy: it is spot on both, u local?
In reply to Joonsy: it's actually part of the closed quarry now, but I have ventured in for a peak or to on a few occasions
SGD - on 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Supadeano86: Is it no longer used as a landfill? I'm guessing not as the gates don't look as if they've been opened in quite awhile...
Supadeano86 - on 24 Aug 2012
In reply to SGD: no mate hasn't been for a while, are u local then?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.