/ Family Camping Tent - Need Suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Confused Chimp on 19 Aug 2012
Hi all,
Looking for some advice regarding tents.
Looking for family tent (4) for use in campsites, able to stand up inside. and enough space for medium size gas stove/table, plus small table and couple of chairs to sit out of the rain.
Suggestions?
Also is there a particular company you rate highly. I was thinking of either outwell or vango.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
CC
wilkie14c - on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Confused Chimp:
I've got an outwell oakland m, its perfect for me and the mrs as we can stand fine. Perhaps one of the bigger models for a famil? Our family tent is a vango diablo 600. Its huge!
JIMBO on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Confused Chimp: I have a spare unused still in the box Vango Icarus 500. Great tent, sturdy and a good size for weekend camping with the family or week as a couple.
Google it...

Yours for 130 - bargain
JIMBO on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to JIMBO: should add that with the front canopy you are set for weeks. Just used my other one like this in Cornwall... Stood up to the gales and rain very well
skarabrae - on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to JIMBO: i`ll 2nd his offer, i have the icarus 400 (slightly smaller version) 130 is a good deal.

however.....if cash is no prob then have a look at these:-

http://soulpad.co.uk/products/soulpad-5000-hybrid-g

i`m planning on replacing my icarus 400 in a few years time with one.

skara.
Trangia - on 19 Aug 2012

Vango Beta 450

New for 107 with Taunton Leisure

It's huge and cheap. I've used mine in the UK, France and Spain and found it to be great value for money. Room for a small table and chairs in the porch (which has a ground sheet you can fold back). Doors on two sides.
Trangia - on 19 Aug 2012
browndog33 - on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Confused Chimp: IMO Vango's are the way to go for family tents, I have a nevada M and can recommend it fully.
Mark.
Carolyn - on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to browndog33:

Wild Country might be worth a look, too - more suited to UK weather than hotter trips (zip down fronts like a mountain tent, rather than open porches)
FrJ on 19 Aug 2012

FIRE RESISTANT FABRIC? Not all tents are fire resistant and you might want to check the spec before you buy if this is important to you.
butteredfrog - on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

>
> however.....if cash is no prob then have a look at these:-
>
> http://soulpad.co.uk/products/soulpad-5000-hybrid-g
>
> i`m planning on replacing my icarus 400 in a few years time with one.
>
> skara.

A friend of mine has one of these, him and his missus lived in it for six months, great piece of kit.

Adam

winhill - on 19 Aug 2012

There's loads of tents in contention, you have to work out what you're doing with it, and how you're going to transport it, store it, dry it out etc.

You can get good enough cheap ones at go outdoors atm for under 100.

They go up quick, pack down small but less weather resistant.

Big modern tents are extremely bulky and heavy, so need more looking after.

The wild country ones have a tarp ('temperature moderator') if you're going somewhere hot to cool them down a bit, of course you could just fashion your own.

IMHO large tent technology has hardly improved in several decades, the only innovation worth mentioning is poly/cotton outers that are less prone to rot than 100% canvas.

The old style canvas bungalow tents still remain the stand out choice, although unfortunately they stand out for looking old fashioned and unsophisticated to the non-cognescenti.

The heavy weight canvas is better in strong wind (nylon is incredibly noisy in wind)and strong sun. The frames are stronger and lighter than modern tunnels that have introduced cross bracing poles that make them frame tents in all but name.

The only drawbacks are bulk (although many nylon mega tents are bulkier) and trying to dry them afterwards.
Confused Chimp on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Trangia:
Thanks for the suggestion but I already have a Beta 450 which is what I will replace with my new tent, reason being is I can't stand in the 450.
CC
KA_R36 on 20 Aug 2012

Bought a second hand Robens cabin 500 on UKC - they don't make it but the cabin 600 is the newer model and Blacks have it on sale.

Great tent - 6'2" husband can stand up fine in it. Plenty of ventilation for the summer with protection over, so you can leave them open in all but the worst rain! Withstood a massive prolonged thunderstorm in the Pyrenees this summer, with no leaks when many other around were failing and our old Vango would have had rain coming in the bottom.
Confused Chimp on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to winhill:
Thanks for the reply winhill.

Main use if for me and my gf (or me on my own) to camp for anything from 1 night up to a to 2 weeks at a time. But I like the extra space of a 4 man tent. But at the same time don't want a massively over sized tent, especially as some places charge you depending on the size of your tent.

I did originally consider one of the very cheap tents you can get, but after reading quite a few bad reviews about them. Decided I didn't want to go completely bargain basement.

Main use will be UK use car camping so weight isn't an issue. But good taped seams are needed with reasonably water resistant fabric. Although at the same time if weather is really bad I'm sure we'd pack up and just come home.

Drying would possibly the only difficulty, although I may be able to take it to work and dry it one one of the large indoor spaces we have.

After some research tonight I'm considering the Vango Calisto 400 and Royal Hampton 4 or possibly one of the Outwells.
angry pirate - on 20 Aug 2012
I've got a Khyam Ridgidome XL. Was quite pricey but the build quality is much better than the average family tent. The poles are thick alloy, the material is a heavy duty polyester (so degrades less quickly in UV than nylon) and the tent quick-erects like the little Khyam tents do.
The loving area is high enough to stand in and fits our table and (three) chairs with bags of space. Pitches fly first so good in poor weather.
I used to sell tents for a living and saw a fair few models (and their returns) and settled on the Khyam as it's a much sturdier proposition than Vango, Lichfield et al!
carlo - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Confused Chimp: Check out the Outwell range, others (copies) are no contest.
ben b - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Confused Chimp: Probably slightly small but the Terra Nova / Wild Country Family Khamsin has done us proud - more of a beefed up 3 season mountain tent so very stable for its size. Currently reduced from 620 to 290 on their site... and just about carryable too in a very big pack! I've used as base camp for the KIMM / LAMM races and have carried it a fair distance before these.
Plenty of endorsements on here in the searches.
HTH
b
Bimble on 20 Aug 2012

I've got an Outwell Oakland that I use for longer trips with the missus. Loads of room, and stood up to a pretty hefty storm when pitched by an idiot (me) on the highest bit of Garth Farm campsite....
ripper - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Confused Chimp: Another shout for Outwell - We have the Oakland XL, the shape means you can stand up across virtually the whole floor area and its very sturdy. Two good sized bedrooms, a large living area with full bathtub groundsheet, easily room for table, chairs, 'camping kitchen' shelf unit with two-ring cooker... Does need two to pitch though and the trade-off for its size and sturdiness is that when packed down it's big and heavy (some of the poles are heavy duty steel!). From what we've experienced with other tents, and seen on campsites we've visited, Outwell are generally among the sturdiest and roomiest but some of their models are approaching old-school frame tent proportions in terms of pack size and weight. There's also a good range of accessories for most of their tents, including extensions.
ads.ukclimbing.com
galpinos - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to angry pirate:

> The loving area

Hmm.....
ripper - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to galpinos:
> (In reply to angry pirate)
>
> [...]
>
> Hmm.....

just hope that's a bit more soundproof than the average tent!
dunc6012 on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Confused Chimp: Soulpad, no question, they are spacious, easy to put up (one main pole) my wife has put up our Soulpad on her own and the tent has survived Force 6 in Cornwall on the coast with 2 weeks of daily rain. The woodburner we added helped. For comfy camping they're the best and will last years. I've been camping in all kinds of tents and bivies all over the world and used a similar tent to the Soulpad at Rongbuk. Not cheap but it will be a tent for life.
lardarse - on 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Confused Chimp: Outwell minnesota, cant fault it, plenty of space and with front canopy added (extra) the bees knees!
ben b - on 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Confused Chimp: This tent looks like it's coping OK apart from the music...
http://www.OUTDOORSmagic.com/gear-blog/tent-gets-a-proper-hammering--video/9979.html
b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.