/ new to MTB and need some advice re servicing bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
birdman - on 20 Aug 2012
Hello all,

I'm relatively new to mountain biking, been doing it off and ono for a couple of years, but one thing that is massively lacking is my mechanical knowledge.... it took me 45mins to change a tyre a few months ago :-(

My bike needs a bit of a service and was wondering if anyone had any good beta on websites that show you how to service etc, i've considered looking on youtube for DIY servicing, is this any good or does it need to be bike specific?

Cheers,

Tim
Horse on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to birdman:

This is a good resource:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/tag/Maintenance

There are some good videos on YouTube, and some rubbish ones search for the thing you want to do, for example bleed brakes, change bottom bracket etc and add in the particular make of component although most are generic. You may need specific tools for some things.
adep247 - on 20 Aug 2012
Frank4short - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Horse: I'd echo what Horse has said. Park tool also have a fairly complete and up to date repair book which is handy too. Also worth checking out the late great Sheldon Brown's site http://sheldonbrown.com/repair/index.html If you're particularly clueless, which your post seems to indicate, though I wouldn't presume as much myself, it may be worth trying to find an amateur mechanics 1 day training course. This might cost you a few quid but will no doubt save you money in the long run.
Hephaestus - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Frank4short:
> it may be worth trying to find an amateur mechanics 1 day training course. This might cost you a few quid but will no doubt save you money in the long run.

Considering the 45mins to change a tyre, +1 for this advice.

Most bike maintenance is pretty simple but it can be fiddly. You will end up spending some frustrating evenings getting stuff right by trial and error, anyway, so best to get the basics set first.
birdman - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Hephaestus:

Cheers for the advice. I'm not normally a mechanic mong, but it had been about 18yrs since my dad taught me how to change my tyres when i was about 10 yrs old, so the memories were somewhat rusty. You were definitely right about things being fiddly!

I'm pretty certain once i see how it's done i'll be ok, but for anything more complex i'll probably look at one of those mechanic sessions.

gingerdave13 - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to birdman: i found that my skills with replacing a tyre, tube and doing puncture repair rapidly increased with the number of punctures i started having..
MHutch - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to birdman:

What needs doing on your bike, do you think?

I was totally intimidated by the technical stuff when I started, and made a few cock-ups along the way, but there are only a couple of things I won't attempt now, and even those are starting to look approachable.
sparra - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to birdman:

there's a load of good maintenance videos from Evans Cycles too - http://www.youtube.com/user/evanscycles/videos

Worth paying for a basic maintenance course from your local bike shop too, good value and a fun day
shumidrives - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to birdman: Somethings will depend on the parts you have on your bike as well. For example, I bled the hydraulic disc brakes on my communter no problem at all just following instructions I found on the internet from a New Zealand mountainbiking website! They are Shimano, but on my MTB I have Hayes brakes and realised what a load of hassle it is to bleed them. You need all sorts of extra bits and bobs to do it which I've never bought.
highclimber - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to birdman) I have Hayes brakes and realised what a load of hassle it is to bleed them. You need all sorts of extra bits and bobs to do it which I've never bought.

you must be doing it wrong as I have hayes brakes and they are incredibly easy to bleed and the only part you need is a little plastic bleed nipple that screws into the master cylinder and even then you can get away with a 50ml syringe.

to the OP: check out singletrackworld and register as it's a wealth of information as if you aren't sure of something, you can ask a question on the forum and have a reply very quickly.
In reply to highclimber:

> you must be doing it wrong as I have hayes brakes and they are incredibly easy to bleed and the only part you need is a little plastic bleed nipple that screws into the master cylinder

Could be, they're quite an old model. But basically, the bleed nipples weren't available in the country I live when I looked into it and as I remember it you needed to buy a bleed kit which was reasonably pricey. Fortunately the brakes still work perfectly OK, if with a bit more pull than needed than I normally favour.
highclimber - on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to TobyA: if you can get some plastic syringes and some 3mm tubing, you can bleed most brakes with very little else.
Horse on 20 Aug 2012
In reply to TobyA:

For future reference you can get reasonably priced kits here:

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/products/bleed-kits/

ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to Horse and highclimber: shall look into both options. Thanks dudes!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.