/ Fairfield and St Sunday Crag walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TheDrunkenBakers - on 21 Aug 2012
Hey all, Im camping and walking in the Lakes this weekend.

The walk will be from patterdale to Fairfield via Grisedale including Gavel Pike, Cofa Pike and Birks.

I dont get enough chances to get out in the hilk these days and want to include another Wainwright, Arniston Crag, too.

Is there an easy route from Birks to Arniston Crag as im looking at the map and I cant see a direct route/path marked?
Ramblin dave - on 21 Aug 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
Yes, I've been up that way in the past and don't remember any problems. I'm pretty sure there's a path.

FWIW, I've found that ticking minor Wainwrights is a really good way of getting a bit of variety in areas that you think you've done to death...
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
> Yes, I've been up that way in the past and don't remember any problems. I'm pretty sure there's a path.
>
> FWIW, I've found that ticking minor Wainwrights is a really good way of getting a bit of variety in areas that you think you've done to death...

Couldnt agree more. I use Hill-Bagging.co.uk to show all hill types in an area (Birketts, Nuttalls, Marylyns, HuMPS etc). By using this site I can log where I have previously visited and also i have been to places that i would never have know about had I not used it.

For instance, i had a great walk to Sir William Hill in the Peaks with the family which would not have otherwsie been on the radar.

Wesley Orvis - on 21 Aug 2012

Went over Arnison Crag and Birks a few weeks ago to do Pinnacle Ridge on St Sunday, there is a clear path between the two without two much loss of altitude either.
In reply to Wesley Orvis:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> Went over Arnison Crag and Birks a few weeks ago to do Pinnacle Ridge on St Sunday, there is a clear path between the two without two much loss of altitude either.

Hmm, i was thinking about doing the walk that way but was a bit nervous about the scramble due to my wife not having scrambled before.

What can you tell me about this scramble. I have personally done all the others, Striding, Sharp et al and found them to be pretty tame but for my good lady who hasnt done this type of activity before, will it be a bridge too far?

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: It's far harder and more exposed than Striding/sharp etc, more akin to moderate on one short pitch and very airy on the pinnacles. There are ways around this bit, but that's a waste of a trip. I wouldn't take someone up it as a first scramble unless they were fairly fearless and athletic. And even then I'd likely rope them up

Hmm, OK.

Im excited by the return journey but I think ill give it a miss on this occasion.

Defo going to check it out from above when I get there.
Wesley Orvis - on 21 Aug 2012

yes totally agree with Dan, it ain't no place for someone's first scramble, although you will se the best bit from above.
ITS on 21 Aug 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Opposite the White Lion in Patterdale is a car park with toilets. Follow the path by the side of the toilets and keep going. Eventually you will reach a drystone wall. A path turns up left by the wall, and leads to the top of Arnison Crag. From there follow the broad ridge, or the continuation of the wall, to Trough Head. The wall now turns westwards (right). Beside it you will find a path up Birks. The wall stops before the summit is reached. From Birks it is obvious where to head for St. Sunday Crag. There is a choice: directly up the ridge, or a traversing path that skirts above Gavel Moss to Gavel Pike, a fine viewpoint, then on up to the summit. A narrowing ridge (nowhere exposed) leads down to Deepdale Hause, before rising steeply to the rocky top of Cofa Pike. It is a short ascent from there to the top of Fairfield.
I can recommend a return over Hart Crag and down the delectable Hartsop-above-How ridge.
Hope this helps, and have a good weekend.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Wainers44 - on 22 Aug 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: If you prefer a valley return rather than one of the ridges Deepdale and Dovedale are both lovely. The shorter way via Grisedale Tarn is OK, but a bit dull after you are past Ruthwaite Lodge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.