Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Just bought a massive rack - sell stuff or keep?

professionalwreckhead - on 21 Aug 2012
I've recently started leading trad, and as I was about to begin buying my own gear, I spotted a very good deal on a brand new rack.

I did the maths and it made financial sense to buy the whole thing, but there's a heck of a lot of gear there that I suspect I'm not going to need for quite a while (and some of it may never be placed).

So, I can't decide whether to sell some of it while it's still brand new, or keep it for when I progress and find myself climbing routes where I need more gear. I don't want to be kicking myself for having got rid of gear I will soon need, but i also don't want to be hanging on to expensive bits of kit which won't get used.

I've got:

A full set of DMM dragon cams 0.0 - 6
Set of DMM off sets 7-11
Set of DMM hex 1-4
DMM wall nuts 1-11
Set of wild country rocks 1-14

I mostly climb at Polldubh and Ardnamurchan at the moment, however the main reason my girlfriend and I started climbing trad is to prgress to climbing bigger mountain routes (we both come from hiking/scrambling backgrounds).

At the moment I feel that I could get away with one full set of nuts, a few common sizes from the other set to double up, sizes 1-4 cams and the hexes.

So, from those who are more experienced...would you consider it worthwhile to keep it all, or is some of it just totally unnecessary and it's going to sit in my cupboard (like that size 6 cam for example!)? I really don't know what my future "intermediate" rack requirements are going to be, I only know what I place at the moment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (I'd rather sell stuff I don't need while it's still new).
... not showing 26 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums