/ Canada

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TrevorWells - on 29 Aug 2012
I'm lucky enough to be working in Calgary this winter for 5 months. I have alreday been in touch with Alpine Club Canada - Calgary Branch. They seem very friendly and have offered advice and i will be joining.

I will be working irregular hours and I am not guaraneed time off. Does anybody have any mates or contacts around Calgary/Banff/Jasper who would like to lead me around the Rockies and go Ice climbing mid-week?

Long shot!
TheDrunkenBakers - on 29 Aug 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:

My brother in law is the coach of the Calgary Canucks rugby union team. Look him up as he is also involved in sport for the council - he might be able to help out.
Tim Chappell - on 29 Aug 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:

This guy's a pro guide, so he can give you tips:

http://hireamountainguide.com/guide-directory/larry-stanier

Larry's a nice guy. I met him in the Cuillin, where he was working as a guide for a friend of mine (who has more money than I have ;-) ).
Will_he_fall - on 03 Sep 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:

This website/forum is a good way to meet people to climb with:

http://www.gravsports-ice.com/icethreads/

HTH,

Will
TrevorWells - on 05 Sep 2012
In reply to Will_he_fall: I'll give it a go, thank you.
TrevorWells - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to Will_he_fall:

I have tried to register but i am still awaiting approval, three days later.
maria85 - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:
Also, the MEC gearswap pages have a partners wanted section, try there.

For conditions reports, gravsports and the ACMG site are the best.

The Waterfall Ice in the Canadian Rockies book is currently out of print, there is meant to be a new one coming, possibly this winter?! I know Banff and Canmore libraries have a copy, gravsports has some route descriptions also. Looking at your rock grades I'm guessing that you're going to be aiming at WI 2-4 (forgive me if I'm wrong!) in which case if you're interested I can send you some ideas of where the best easier lines are - let me know. I can probably also put you in touch with a few people in Banff/Canmore area.

A car is virtually essential, as are winter tyres on it! Public transport in the Rockies sucks. If you're not intending on buying a car, joining Alpine Club trips is probably your best bet.

Maria
George Ormerod - on 10 Sep 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:

Also join the Rocky Mountain (Canmore) branch of the ACC to give you more options. The Calgary section is very friendly and active. I can't help with much mid-week action (unless you fancy climbing at night), but I'm on the look out for partners. I'll send you a personal message with some more information, including a lead on the guidebook.

You'll love it out here - it's great!
mikebarter387 - on 27 Sep 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:
Give me a call when you get here. I will give you one of my old ice guide books I don't need every addition and any of them has more then you can do in a single season. You'll be looking to do the classics and there are so many that you would have to climb two a day all winter.
Gravsports ice as people stated is a good starting point.
Alpine club join now and pick out a ice trip our two that is in your skill level.
post at the MEC
I'm at mountainguide.com
I work as a guide here and can point the way to what is in shape and let you know avey conditions when you show.

tips on ice climbing I have posted a few at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mikebarter3
Mike_Gannon - on 28 Sep 2012
In reply to TrevorWells: Hi Trevor,
I'm incredibly jealous. I had a year out there and loved it. Stayed in Canmore. Gravsports is a great place to meet locals who know their stuff, and the Alberta ACC have a bulletin board where guys practising for their ACMG will take you out for the day (FOR FREE!!!).

There's always somewhere to go even when the avalanche hazard is high.
Haffner Creek was a regular haunt of mine.

Have fun

Mike
Northsea - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to TrevorWells: Try Stevie Blagborough or Nick Sharpe in Canmore.

See http://yamnuska.com/mountain-guides
Andrew_ing - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to TrevorWells:
Hi

I have just arrived in Canmore, for the year and would be interested in getting out, if you are still on the lookout for partners

Cheers
Andy
Jack Loftus - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Andrew_ing: Hey, I'm out there for the winter too, just contact me through ukc if you want to get out.

TrevorWells - on 10 Oct 2012
In reply to maria85:

Hi Maria, thank you. The car wil be provided by work. Winter tyres?? I guess so if thats how the hire companies provide them. As for grades I'll have to check them out. I've only been on a couple of ice climbs so far. If any of your contacts are interested in a Rockies novice please pass this thread on.

Cheers
In reply to mikebarter387:

Cheers for all the info/advice. I have tried the gravsports but it wont let me log in. I've been in touch with ACC Calgary and will join. I cant commit to a trip as i will be working 5 days a week and potentially on call 7. Work seem to think they are sending me over to work!!

Thank you for the offer of a call. I will take you up on that.
In reply to Mike_Gannon:

For Free.......cheers :-)
In reply to Andrew_ing:

Andy, cheers. Yes i am after partners. I have maded a few contacts already but the more the merrier. I am due to arrive Dec 11/12.
TrevorWells - on 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Mike_Gannon:

Hi Mike, when you say ACC Alberta, do you specifically mean the Central Alberta branch? I had been looking at the Calgary branch as i will be living there but I can join more than one branch.

Too much choice!!
ads.ukclimbing.com
TrevorWells - on 15 Oct 2012
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Just realised i never replied, sorry. I will do thank you. I'll drop you a line closer to the day. Thank you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.