/ Rock fall in Aberdeenshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
leewright - on 09 Sep 2012
CMcBain - on 09 Sep 2012
In reply to leewright:

Hope they are all okay. Me and a few friends done eagle ridge yesterday and didn't come across too much loose stuff but I guess looks can be deceiving.

hopefully they have a speedy recovery
OwenF - on 09 Sep 2012
In reply to CMcBain:

Holy smokes, we were lucky it seems then! Seems a bit confusing as they say it occurred in a gully, yet it also says climbers were rescued as their route was blocked....?
Kevin Woods - on 09 Sep 2012
Eek hope they are ok.

I walked around Lochnagar yesterday for the first time. Great place.

In reply to CMcBain: PM'ed you.
Slugain Howff - on 09 Sep 2012
In reply to OwenF:

The injured, a party of 2, were on the lower part of the climb and were winched off the ridge by helicopter and taken to Aberdeen( not life threatening when I stood down). A party of 3 as we understood it was above them when the rockfall occurred managed to sort themselves out and abbed off into the coire.

S
OwenF - on 09 Sep 2012
In reply to Slugain Howff:

Oh right, thanks for the info. Glad the guys are generally ok (i.e. not life threatening it seems).

I wouldn't be the one to speculate, but it wouldn't be surprise that something loose could be pulled off the lower part of that route. I found it a little too vegetated, sandy and unpleasant for my liking!
island_explorer on 09 Sep 2012
In reply to leewright: The route seems very eroded now, I found plenty of holds coming off in my hands and had to avoid stepping on loose boulders quite a few times when we climbed there yesterday. I think there is plenty of stuff to dislodge there, plus the sludge and vegetation doesn't help. I hope these guys recover soon!
Wee Davie - on 09 Sep 2012
In reply to leewright:

Was it from the steepish bit before the Sentry Box? That section felt loose to me years ago. Hope all the injured recover quickly.
Chalkd83 - on 10 Sep 2012
In reply to leewright:

Does anyone know if they have released the names of the climbers yet? I know some folks who were planning on a wee trip there and havent managed to get hold of them to see if they're ok.
Andy Moles - on 10 Sep 2012
In reply to leewright:

A couple of pretty serious leg injuries, but nothing life-threatening. Wish them all the best in recovery.
AlH - on 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Andy Moles: Aah Sh*t Andy. I guess I know who that is. Was talking about it to one of them last week. Glad it wasn't more serious. Ian S was nearby and said it was pretty huge.
Scomuir on 10 Sep 2012
In reply to AlH:
I saw the rockfall from the Meikle Pap col yesterday. The debris ended up landing well into the corrie, below Parallel B. Initially, I thought it had come from Eagle Buttress, rather than the ridge itself, but it was difficult to tell from that distance.

The skill and bravery shown by the pilot to position the helicopter so close to the ridge, and directly over the casualties was incredible. While they would have had some protection from the strong southerly wind, there was obviously some buffeting going on. I wish the injured a speedy and full recovery.
BananaSoreen - on 10 Sep 2012
In reply to leewright: I was one of the climbers, We were a group of four, 3 on a belay ledge and myself leading, just before the box a i pulled myself onto a rock and it dislodged, creating a large rock fall. the two members airlifted are recovering in hospital with serious leg injury's. Me and the other managed to ab of safely. Big shout to mountain rescue who did a fantastic job along with the RAF helicopter.
ads.ukclimbing.com
leewright - on 10 Sep 2012
In reply to dunbarbiker: glad to hear your OK. Hope the others make a speedy recovery.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.