/ Acceptable Crag Behaviour - Joints and Stella

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ralphus on 18 Sep 2012
Hello All

At the weekend I was at Cheddar Gorge with a select group of friends from my club. Later in the afternoon another group of bods turned up, there was the usual banter within and between groups which was great and the normal mushnt grumble comments about the guy with the loud mouth shouting far too much beta to anyone climbing a route he had done before.

That was all fine what got my back up was how one of them thought it was perfectly acceptable to smoke a joint and drink cans of Stella while every now and again soloing the first few moves of climbs and moaning about how he wanted to do trad but couldn't because he didn't have any microwires for the Vdiff.

I see a lot of things wrong with this especially as it's all compounded by the fact a lot of tourists are walking/driving past and taking pictures.

Am I over reacting? or would this be considered alright behavior? and would you say anything to him?
ThunderCat - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

Guess as long as he wasn't leaving empties everywhere and not endangering anyone it's not really that much of a prob, is it?

Sir Chasm - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: "don't boggart that joint" or "gis a swig", that sort of thing?
nickyrannoch on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

Are you concerned because of drink/ illegal drugs or because the person/ group was acting like a dick?

I would have a word if someone was being a bit of a loudmouth and an arse. As for the joints and beers I would be acting friendly trying to get in on the action but as long as there was no danger to other climbers i wouldn't consider it any of my business.
PeterM - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

The guy was acting like a tw*t...it's not really the place for it, you wouldn't really do it taking part in any other sport...
John_Hat - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

If he's soloing whilst stoned and pissed I think this could be a self-solving problem...
nickyrannoch on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to Ralphus)
>
> The guy was acting like a tw*t...it's not really the place for it, you wouldn't really do it taking part in any other sport...

You obviously have never been down the sunday league pitches in my neck of the woods ;-)

EeeByGum - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

> That was all fine what got my back up was how one of them thought it was perfectly acceptable to smoke a joint and drink cans of Stella while every now and again soloing the first few moves of climbs and moaning about how he wanted to do trad but couldn't because he didn't have any microwires for the Vdiff.

How times have changed. When I joined my uni club, I was about the only person who didn't smoke or smoke weed.
butteredfrog - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to EeeByGum:

Back in the day when going climbing was about enjoying onself! :)

EeeByGum - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to butteredfrog:
> (In reply to EeeByGum)
>
> Back in the day when going climbing was about enjoying onself! :)

Absolutely. Everyone knows that in these modern times, climbing is only about ticking routes. Enjoyment? Isn't that what Farcebook a Tw@tter are for? :-)
DJonsight - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: I don't think you're over reacting at all - what kind of moron wants to climb trad in Cheddar. And why do people drink Stella, I mean real beer is available at a similar price...
Mike Stretford - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to DJonsight: It isn't even a nice lager.
jazzyjackson on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

> Am I over reacting? or would this be considered alright behavior?

Do you believe in life before death? ; )
Milesy - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Papillon:

Unless you get the imported stuff. The stella you get that is imported and has the white paper covering the cap is actually pretty nice. I used to buy it out the Italian restaurant down from my house every so often. The brewed under license and made with a million additives crap tastes absolutely vile.
andic - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

Sounds like an attention seeking knobber

sorry it spoiled your enjoyment you shouldn't let it
Ralphus on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to andic: Oh didn't spoil my day, we finished the last route we wanted to do in that area and moved to the next and enjoyed climbing for a lot longer before waiting till everyone was done climbing and then the cider and Stella's started.

I was just wondering how many fools thought it was acceptable behavior so I could avoid them.
Robert Durran - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to Ralphus)
>
> The guy was acting like a tw*t...it's not really the place for it, you wouldn't really do it taking part in any other sport...

Even if climbing were a sport, it's wouldn't be like any other (thank goodness). Alcohol, drugs, anarchy - all good if they help to keep things that way. Acting like a tw*t is a different matter.
jalien on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

Just wondering what exactly you thought was unacceptable behaviour? Was he getting in the way, when looking at routes? Was his moaning about not having wires unacceptably loud?

By your own admission, you are happy to break out the Stellas, so was it that he was drinking while you were climbing? Or was it the smoking? Smoking outdoors generally doesn't impact on others much, unless you were climbing in a cave. Or are you concerned about the illegality of smoking a spliff, and the impression that might convey on the delicate tourists, who will then complain to the management and get climbing banned forever (if they could make out what he was smoking)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am curious as to why his behaviour was so unacceptable to you
Timmd on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

I wouldn't think it was any of my business if somebody was having a joint at the crag or drinking from a can or two.

If they endangered others i'd say something, and if I thought they might be too out of it to be soloing, I might try and find a way of expressing concern in a friendly way, but i'm 'live and let live' with regard to other people.

Did you find it unnaceptable because of the impression it might give of climbers? Genuine question.

Tim
Timmd on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to jalien:

I'm a bit puzzled too. Each to thier own I guess, it'd be boring if we were all the same.

Still a bit puzzled though...
Duncan Bourne - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to Ralphus)
>
> If he's soloing whilst stoned and pissed I think this could be a self-solving problem...

Kinda my view on this. I sense a Darwin award
In reply to Ralphus:
>
>
> I was just wondering how many fools thought it was acceptable behavior so I could avoid them.

Neither acceptable nor unacceptable, a bit foolhardy may be. Not as bad as trying to work a lathe on skunk with razor sharp chisels
Mike Stretford - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne: Or performing a heart bypass on magic mushrooms, for example.
ollieollie - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: We are all entitled to behave as we please at a crag or anywhere else within reason, i woulda made it a heineken
In reply to Papillon:
> (In reply to Duncan Bourne) Or performing a heart bypass on magic mushrooms, for example.

Ooo yeah! Boy I won't be trying THAT again!
In reply to ollieollie:
> i woulda made it a heineken

Or a fine claret. Joints are so passe these days
Pursued by a bear - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne: Really? A nice joint of beef would go with that claret a treat.

You'd have to pick a quiet day if you were planning a black tie crag dinner, mind. And the waiters would have to abseil.

T.
MJ - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

Cheddar Gorge, stoned and soloing.

The individual wasn't Jim Perrin by any chance?
marsbar - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:
>
> I was just wondering how many fools thought it was acceptable behavior so I could avoid them.

If you think I'm a fool for minding my own business, and for not interfering with the actions of an adult that aren't harming anyone (except potentially himself) feel free to avoid me....

Life is too short......

Dirk Didler - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to Ralphus)
> [...]
>
> If you think I'm a fool for minding my own business, and for not interfering with the actions of an adult that aren't harming anyone (except potentially himself) feel free to avoid me....
>
> Life is too short......

+1
ads.ukclimbing.com
jalien on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to Ralphus)
>
> Cheddar Gorge, stoned and soloing.
>

Sounds like a classic route name!
Timmd on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to jalien:

Wonder if one could copywrite a route name?

I can think of loads of good ones...

(:-))
poeticshambles - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: No,it's not great, as even if he was not interfering with other people's climbing, it doesn't look very good when other people are walking past. It gives all of us a bad name. But then, in all walks of life, you are going to get a certain amount of idiots, I think in climbing we have a lower proportion compared to most other sports and activities.

As long as he wasn't endangering other people, and there were no children around, I would ignore him, however, f he overstepped the mark, then I'd have a word. Tricky really.
Cheese Monkey - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: Ah I remember a beautiful day out at Berry Head, just finished Magical Mystery Tour, soaking wet after the swim back, drying out in the sun, just munched a fat pasty, then sparked up a fat cone.

Even went to the pub after and drank a bit much.

Scandalous.
marsbar - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to poeticshambles: If someone is narrow minded enough to judge you based on the actions of someone else that happens to have a hobby in common then why on earth would you care what they think?
Timmd on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to poeticshambles) If someone is narrow minded enough to judge you based on the actions of someone else that happens to have a hobby in common then why on earth would you care what they think?

Indeed.
Timmd on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to marsbar:What's so wrong with drinking cans at the crag anyway?

It's not what i'd expect, but if somebody bahaves themself and doesn't leave the cans as little I can't see what the problem is.

(..obviously not aimed at you...)
Tom Last - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Scoundrel!
MJ - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to jalien:

Cheddar Gorge, stoned and soloing.

Sounds like a classic route name!

The cryptic clue in a "Name the Route" quiz could be: -

Feasting on cheese can be a dry and lonely experience.

snoop6060 - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

No mate, don't say a word, its best to just spray all over the internet about it in a righteous and condescending way. I mean, what's next, people actually just going the crag and having a laugh? I wouldn't stand for that, its a f*ckin disgrace. The bastards!

Stuart William - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: So he wasn't actually climbing? Just drinking and smoking on public land? I don't see a problem with that as long as he was respectful to others and the environment. In terms of drinking as long as he picked up his empties I think it's fine and in terms of smoking as long as he respected the fact that it is not to everyone's taste and therefore didn't flaunt it too much, blow it in anyone's face, leave stubs about or encourage children to take it up it seems fine to me.
GrahamD - on 19 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

Drinking Stella, especially in public, is never acceptable social behaviour.
ollieollie - on 19 Sep 2012
In reply to Cheese Monkey:
> (In reply to Ralphus) Ah I remember a beautiful day out at Berry Head, just finished Magical Mystery Tour, soaking wet after the swim back, drying out in the sun, just munched a fat pasty, then sparked up a fat cone.
>
> Even went to the pub after and drank a bit much.
>
> Scandalous.

Sounds delightful, well not the herb these days but climbing, sun, pasty and beer. if katy perry was there it would be the ultimate day!!
quiffhanger - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: +1 for live and let live.
gd303uk - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:
>

that's you on my list of people to avoid, my crac pipe and vodka smoothies will not go down well in your gang.

krikoman - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: +1 for Fools Gang
Just Another Dave - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

Depends entirely on whether he had hairy shoulders and a wifebeater on.

Nah seriously, who cares? Feel free to disapprove of me if you ever find me idly tyre-kicking around the base of routes having a few bombs of MDMA and lines of Ket and mumbling about how I've lost my aliens...
subalpine - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: depends on the motive. if bravado and ego are involved then its a recipe for disaster. i remember a kid falling off the top of causey quarry when soloing after a joint- was not a pretty sight. i believe he survived (are you out there stoned causey soloist of the 90's)?
alexjz - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: he screwed up big time, he should have passed the doobie around. Everything would be fine for sure.

Who cares what he or anyone does. And you should have had a word with him at the time if you had an issue.
In reply to alexjz: i'm getting the feeling we've been trolled- doh
Mark Kemball - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to subalpine: A good attempt at a troll, but he's spoiled it by replying to his own thread.
In reply to Mark Kemball: but replying to a thread can give the impression of not being a troll..
TryfAndy on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

Nothing wrong with having a beer & a smoke in the great outdoors, it's not as if it affects anyone else. Fair enough, being a whining tit does, but a mix of Stella & weed should shut him up quick enough.
Mr Lopez - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

And there was me thinking the only way you'd find yourself climbing at Cheddar was by being too stoned or drunk to know otherwise...
Ralphus on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: Not a troll at all it was a genuine question to understand what people thought, which has clearly been given.

And yes he was climbing and belaying. If he was just stood around then I wouldn't have thought twice about it
gd303uk - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: Just had a look at your profile photo , that is unacceptable behaviour and not just for the jumper you're wearing, you have a good bit of slack in the dyneema sling and larks footed to your belay loop, it is asking for trouble. your not even stoned to use that as an excuse.
You're defo on my list of people to avoid. :)
alexjz - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk: haha!
Bulls Crack - on 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

>
> That was all fine what got my back up was how one of them thought it was perfectly acceptable to smoke a joint and drink cans of Stella while every now and again soloing the first few moves of climbs and moaning about how he wanted to do trad but couldn't because he didn't have any microwires for the Vdiff.

Brilliant! As good as Tom Patey's list of non-climbing excuses eg 'I'm a greater ranges man myself'
hokkyokusei - on 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Brilliant! As good as Tom Patey's list of non-climbing excuses eg 'I'm a greater ranges man myself'

That's ace. I'm going to use that next time I can't get off the ground at the bottom of Low Man Easy Way.
David Rose - on 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: You should have called the police. To be faffing around "bouldering" the bottom moves of v diffs and complaining about a lack of micro wires must surely be illegal, and those who perpetrate such behaviour must be punished.
Ciro - on 21 Sep 2012
In reply to subalpine:
> (In reply to Ralphus) depends on the motive. if bravado and ego are involved then its a recipe for disaster. i remember a kid falling off the top of causey quarry when soloing after a joint- was not a pretty sight. i believe he survived (are you out there stoned causey soloist of the 90's)?

I'd have thought a spliff would make you less likely to get on something hard because of ego - it's a long time since my smoking days, but I seem to remember it tended to discourage risky behaviour... there were mates of mine who wouldn't get in the car with me behind the wheel until I'd lit up.

Strong continental lager, on the other hand, is a whole different story! :D

Zillas - on 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

we do get people complaining about this kind of irresponsible criminal acts on the continent as well. they are usually german and can't climb for shit....

apart from that, I would dare to say that things like weed, alcohol and strange behaviour have always been accepted worldwide as integral parts of the climbing lifestyle.

Zillas - on 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Ciro:

> I'd have thought a spliff would make you less likely to get on something hard because of ego - it's a long time since my smoking days, but I seem to remember it tended to discourage risky behaviour...

have you ever seen those spanish guys ? the breakfast on half a bottle of rioja and a fat spliff, pull the beetles from their dreadlocks and climb 8a for a warmup.....

waterbaby - on 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

Oooo cool, sounds like a party but I ditch the Stella in preference for something nicer.

Sheltered life?
derryclimbs - on 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

harness up, chalk up, toke up. Or is it the other way around? I can never remember... too many drugs I guess.
gingerdave13 - on 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:
> Am I over reacting?
Yes
> or would this be considered alright behavior?
absolutely
> and would you say anything to him?
hello?

unless he's littering, get over it.

subalpine - on 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Ciro: yeah, maybe- i wouldn't know
here's what they think over the pond:
www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1268207/how-do-you-feel-about-climbing-w-someone-who-smokes-weed
Ducks Rock - on 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: I personally would not want to climb under or near someone who was not concentrating or whose judgement was impaired for any reason purely for safety reasons, but I would just move away. As for shouting beta when not asked, that is just being a bit over eager to help, and can soon be curtailed by politely saying you would like to work it out on your own :)
It is a bit like the gig wanker, there is always one, but if you don't like it, move away.
Bruce Hooker - on 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

> Am I over reacting?

Yes.

Unless your objection is to the choice of beer, in which case it's probably fair comment.
abr1966 - on 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus: Dope...stella....talking a climb more than climbing it? Sounds a great day to me!

Being loud whilst doing it = nobhead!
HappyTrundler - on 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

As usual, it's not the drink or drugs that is the problem, it's the behaviour...
paul reah - on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Ralphus: hello people of the topic that has made me piss my pants :):) i was with said group of people at cheddar, and the said gentleman who shall remain anonymous climbs with us regularly, and while he does enjoy the occasional reefer, and the odd can of wife beater, he certainly was not "loud" or "moaning" about not having microwires. He simply likes to come to the crag and enjoy the great outdoors. he picks up his cans, doesnít flaunt what he smokes and certainly doesnít encourage others to do the same. As for the solo comments, i think leaving the ground by approximately 1-2 metres is classed and dangerous behaviour, then i was being a complete maverick when i did "spoon jar jar spoon" as the first bolt is at 5 metres!!! i canít believe i was so careless!! I will go home and beat myself with a can of Stella as punishment :):) and then settle down with a 10 skin :) not really i donít smoke :) just canít believe this topic has reached the length of a good novel :) enjoy your climbing folks!!!
Jim Crow - on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

A good reefer or two and some wife beater is probably what you need Ralphus.
Alex Slipchuk on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to paul reah: i once knew an amazing guy who died in the big hills. He once told me that "when i get to a tricky part of a climb I like to have a pipe. If it's still difficult I'll have another, usually by the third pipe if it's still too hard i wont be too bothered". He usually passed his pipe round in the clahaig (laced with cherry cancer weed to mask the aroma from the judgemental) and in his latter years prob covered more miles than most on this forum (he replaced his van engines at around half a million miles. And i knew him through 2 vans!). If he was reading this he'd be pissing himself probably laughing at the real anti social climbers. Anyhow it really didn't make him a bad person, in fact he wouldn't have been the same otherwise. Here's to you Malcom ;)
henwardian - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to Ralphus: Ok, lots of other people have thrown in the sarcasm so I'll try and give a non-sarcastic response...

Doesn't sound like anything wrong to me. If he isn't littering with his Stella cans, that really shouldn't be a problem. If he is smoking weed too close to you, you could always tell him move downwind or away, if this feels difficult to do, just claim that because you work for the police you get drug tested regularly so you can't even risk passive inhalation. Obviously this is a two pronged approach and should be quite effective ;)

As for the microwires and bouldering. Well, maybe he is being a bit of a tool but really why should you care? Its not like it can be of any harm to anybody else. You could always offer to loan him some microwires to call his bluff. Or wander along soloing all the routes he does the first little bit of if you want to out-tool him.
Si dH - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to Ralphus:
Personally I couldnt care less about the stella as long as hes not acting up and annoying people, but the joint really pisses me off. Someone was smoking one when we were at Cratcliffe last year and the smell was everywhere, it was really off-putting. Totally out of order imho.
skarabrae - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to Ralphus: sounds like my perfect partner, do you have a contact for him ;-)
JJL - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to Ralphus:

It was an homage: Street Illegal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.