/ Short legs and beer belly sizing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jacobfinn on 29 Sep 2012
I'm on the lookout for a new pair of durable over-trousers for the winter season.

I've had a look at the RAB stretch Neo pants and quite like them. Only problem is that they are made for giraffes, not folk like me - 34" waist; 30" leg - I know shorty with a beer belly. I reckon that the regular leg length for my waist size is 34"! Are the majority of men with 34" waists really 6'2" tall?

I don't think that I am alone with this problem of finding suitable clothing. Does any one know of gear manufacturers who make decent winter over-trousers with short legs?
D.Andrew - on 29 Sep 2012
abr1966 - on 29 Sep 2012
In reply to jacobfinn: I'm pretty much the same size mate and found that Berghaus were the best brand for overtrousers. I got some about 18 months ago, they're goretex and pretty solid...

For other things I find Marmot to be really good with sizing..
derryclimbs - on 29 Sep 2012
In reply to jacobfinn:

34" = beer belly? Someone's robbed me of a breweryload of ale.
Trevor Langhorne on 29 Sep 2012
In reply to jacobfinn:

I think some Berghaus overtrousers come in short, regular and long lengths.
koolkat - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to jacobfinn:
i have some short legged paramo salls you can have
not seen much use yours for 100 the ideal winter trouser :-)
JohnnyW - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to jacobfinn:

Oh to be a 34''!
...and Oh to have 30'' legs. Some guys have all the luck :o(
jacobfinn on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW: Aye, I saw your post on the thread about short trousers.

I recently bought some American Carhartt jeans for my work. On the web site I bought them from - sierratradingpost.com - they give you the option of selecting your waist and leg sizes. But that's American's for you - totally mental.

I really think UK suppliers just can't be arsed offering choice. Not everyone who walks/climbs is tall and rangy. I demand that the short/stocky/fat/beer-bellid midget freaks out there are catered for too!
ellmang - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Trevor Langhorne: I was in the same boat a year ago - ended up getting a pair of womens berghaus and they fit perfect. Size 10 short leg :)
derryclimbs - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to ellmang:
> (In reply to Trevor Langhorne) I was in the same boat a year ago - ended up getting a pair of womens berghaus and they fit perfect. Size 10 short leg :)

But does your bum look big in them?

jacobfinn on 05 Oct 2012
I've had a bit of an email correspondence with Rab. At the moment they can't offer a service shortening over-trousers, but the contact did recommend Lancashire Sports repairs - http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/ - who could do the job. However, at a price of 42 per garment with presumably P&P on top, its an expensive business. Adding 50 to a pair of 200 over-trousers is a lot of extra money to pay, simply for having stumpy legs and a beer belly!

The Rab guy did say that they were considering at some time in the future making garments with short/long legs. This would be brilliant, but at the same time an obvious thing to do. It's time that clothing manufacturers made clothes for normal people in all our shapes and sizes.

I don't know how to encourage them to do this? A letter campaign? Emails from all of us stumpy, fat bastards; and our distant cousins the tall, skinny giraffe-humans?

And ideas??? Go on a diet, get fit and stop drinking? Hmm... or maybe just pick another hobby that doesn't involve goretex.
Neil Pratt - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to jacobfinn:

Arcetyrx make their over trousers in a range of leg lengths - they're pricey, but fit a lot better than some of the cheaper options.
Badam - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to jacobfinn: mate your not a short/fat/beer bellied/midget

much more of a beardie wierdy
Hannes on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to jacobfinn: Maybe a pair of Medium short paramo trousers?
ads.ukclimbing.com
jacobfinn on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to Badam: True. A beardie weardie with short legs...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.