/ Skiing holiday with 1 year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lynsety - on 30 Sep 2012
Any recommendations for places with creches? I've looked on the internet and googled it but be nice to hear of people/places with first hand experience?

Thanks guys!
AG - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Lynsety: we went to norway x country skiing ( 2years running) and put the kid in a pulk. Great holiday!
jimjimjim on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Lynsety: Dump your 1 year old child and go skiing all day....love it. Mum ma?....Dad da?.... Glad I've not kids!
cp - on 01 Oct 2012
In reply to jimjimjim:
We did this last year in Morzine. Worked out really well.

http://www.outa-morzine.com/uk/index.html

thommi - on 01 Oct 2012
In reply to jimjimjim: quite! I'm glad I have got kids though. :-) to the op, and why not plan a holiday that you can all enjoy as a family during the formative years of your child's life. Get them involved. They'll be plenty of time for your skiing in the future when the little one can be part of it. And before anyone shoots me down I'm really not trying to be sanctimonious, I just think it'd be a little sad to take the bairn on its hols and then piss off all day for your own fun.
Lynsety - on 01 Oct 2012
In reply to thommi: that's okay, you can put what you want and i can do what i want ;-) we don't plan on going all day every day, just some mornings and were hoping to do some cross country stuff pulling her behind as well. plenty of snow time for the little one with us but some adult time is also nice isn't it :-)
Sir Chasm - on 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety: Wherever you go make sure you fly, everybody loves babies on planes and from the sound of it they love flying.
thommi - on 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety: absolutely. Sorry for the grumpy post, unjustified really and based on nowt. Have a lovely holiday. :-)
Carolyn - on 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Babies are a fantastic way to ensure adequate space on a free for all EasyJet flight ;-)
nik king - on 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety:
I went to Serre chevallier last season with my 8 month old son and had a great trip. There are two bits of kit that I found utterly essential to making the trip work. The first was a Baby bjorn papoose that i carried my little sprog in whilst I pootled down some well reccied blue runs.

The second was a non skiing grandmother.

Dave Percy on 05 Oct 2012 - host86-170-182-13.range86-170.btcentralplus.com
In reply to Lynsety:

I don't know what sort of budget you have, but a few years ago my wife and I went on holiday with our daughter using a company called Family Ski. It was a catered holiday and they were really good, the childcare was great. We put our daughter in to the creche for the mornings and took it in turns to be with her in the afternoons - so we didn't leave her with strangers all the time but managed to get some stuff done for ourselves.

We had previously both worked several ski seasons and saved up for that holiday - it was great to have some luxury for once! We went to Ardent in the last week of the season and there was plenty of skiable terrain plus it wasn't too cold for our daughter either.

Good luck and I hope you find somewhere that works.
robal - on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to nik king: I second that, bring the grandparents along, they love it! plus with the shortened day light hours you end up spending more than enough time with the sprog!

I'd never thought about the cross country aspect of it! thats a great idea!
Carolyn - on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to nik king:

>The first was a Baby bjorn papoose that i carried my little sprog in whilst I pootled down some well reccied blue runs.

Though watch out, this is explicitly banned in many resorts, and will lose you your lift pass from what I understand....

Personally, I'm not sure I could tolerate either set of grandparents within the confines of a small ski appartment for a week ;-) We've always just swapped adults around - often trying to go to the same resort as another family, or taking a couple of extra child-free adults, so not all the skiing is done alone.
earlsdonwhu - on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety: Leave sprog at home with granny.
Rob Exile Ward on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety: I think Granny is a good option if available - it never has been fo rus and we've had a few compromised ski trips as a result. (In Lake Louise we were paying through the nose for child care when Sam was about 18 months, we went back to the creche and the worker shook her head and said 'Sam's had a tough day...' he never went back.)

I know it's not easy, but how about finding other families to go with and share an appartment and childcare responsibilities?
Tallie - on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety:

We went here:

http://www.espritski.com/resorts/belle-plagne/

two years ago. Not cheap but really good service and really nice and confidence inspiring nursery staff. My daughter was about 9 months old, we went with friends who had twins of a similar age and all 3 children loved the nursery.

The setup was good - you pick up your child from nursery around 4ish, feed them at children's tea (there's a good choice of weaning type food), then bath and bed. There's then a listening service (nursery staff sat outside your room) whilst you go to dinner downstairs (normal chalet type fare - wine with meal etc) and you get a message if your child wakes up.

The ski area's large, relatively high and as close to guaranteed snow as you get in the Alps nowadays...

adi3969 - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety: We went to Tignes last year with crystal and our little one (9 months) went in the pepi penguin club from 8.30 till 14.00 (165 for 6 days) , she loved it and it gave us plenty of time each day to ski. Early january there were only 3 other children her age so it was almost one to one supervision. Esprit though expensive are known to be the best for childcare but we couldn't fault crystal. I'd maybe choose a resort with a short transfer as this is the most tense time travelling with little ones. We have also had the french creche recommended to us in La Rossiere (run by a bloke from Yorkshire).
gonggashan - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety: Saint Foix Tarantaise in french alps is really good - small family friendly resort with creche but just down the road from all the famous places. Really gorgeous but good value lodges eco les routeurs, nice cafes no lift queues : )
smallclimber - on 07 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety:
Wow, you got some nasty responses! I'd ignor them.

We have skied a few times as a large family group and used Crystal. Although i did not have kids then, my sister had two young ones in their day care program. You would be limited to the resorts where they have the children's clubs, and for greatest convenience you'd also want to go to the hotel where the club is based to avoid having to traipse a little one on snowy streets or on a crowded ski bus. My sister was every happy with the holidays they had with crystal. As its a package flight and transport to the resort are all included. It might not be the cheapest way, but nothing is going to be very cheap for you now if you want to keep traveling, and it's worth paying a bit extra for convenience.

I think it's important for parents to have some "me" time as well, and good to keep your ability up, as in no time at all your little one will be on the slopes, and you won't be able to keep up.

Enjoy your holiday
Heike - on 07 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety:

My friend has been to Chamonix twice where there are lots of creches, kids skiclubs. Has been very happy with it!

Ignore those grumpy people who say you should stay at home, it's nice and important to keep on doing what you want whilst including the kids.
John Rushby - on 07 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety:

Les Saises - between Megeve and Albetrville - part of the Espace Diamant ski area.

Very French, no braying British knobheads and several kids schools and creches. The skiing is very family oriented and a hidden gem. You can ski Les Contamines and Areches Beaufort.

Some really good X country so you could take junior in the papoose thingy.
Lynsety - on 10 Oct 2012
In reply to all: Hey, thanks very much guys for all your help. We've kind of seen Norway a fair but the X-country is very good so will still be on the cards I would have thought. Appreciate the helpful answers, thanks!
The Bantam on 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety:

Took ours here when he was one:

http://www.chillypowder.com/AuCoinduFeu.htm

Great place.
JimGoodman - on 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Lynsety: GRandparents very handy. Great creche in Le Chinaillon. Although we often found it better to go to a cheaper resort and take turns looking after the children.

Jim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.