/ good places for trekking in december

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lorraine McCall on 01 Oct 2012
I have time off in December and am looking for ideas for some backpacking somewhere a bit warmer. Any reccommendations?
In reply to Lorraine McCall: I don't know about multi-day walks (there must be plenty of potential in the area) but if if you're after some easy high-ish trekking peaks, and cheap too, then what about Mexico? http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=3972
no_more_scotch_eggs - on 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Lorraine McCall:

chile or argentina? the lake district there should have warmed up by then, though southern patagonia could still be a bit chilly...

cheers
gregor
Lorraine McCall on 01 Oct 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Hey Dan - I have just emailed you. I missed this article last year - looks great but am i right in thinking mexico is a tad dodgy at the moment for travellers?
In reply to Lorraine McCall: Well it's not Switzerland, by any means, and you have to be pretty careful in cities. But is it more dangerous than normal at present? Don't think so, not for canny travellers who keep a low profile and don't ask for trouble. The volcanoes are in central Mexico, not an area that features much in recent news on drug violence. Famous last words.

Mike H SNV - on 01 Oct 2012
The GR 240 that circuits Spain's Sierra Nevada is a possibility. May not be as warm as Mexico but southern Spain is cheap and accessible. There is a guide in English to it available from Stanfords and some online info at:

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/medioambiente/servtc5/ventana/paginas/sulayr/indexSulayr.jsp?lg=EN

If your interested we'd be happy to give more info.

mike
lpretro1 on 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Lorraine McCall: Mallorca
THE.WALRUS - on 02 Oct 2012

Atlas Mountains - Morocco
Volcanoes - Mexico
Volcanoes - Ecuador
Aconcagua - Argentina
Simien Mountains - Ethiopia

Also, Venezula and Colombia.

Choices, choices...
Lorraine McCall on 04 Oct 2012
Hey mike thanks for this. Booked flights to Malaga and thinking about doing this sulayr walk. Do you know what conditions are likely to be in December? I see it is witting around 1800mts.
ta
lorraine

thanks to all repliers
In reply to Lorraine McCall: I've been to the Sierra Nevada in Jan and it was full-on winter mountain conditions, lots of snow and ice, very cold and windy. That was up on the big summits, 3000m+, but going by that I would reckon on it being cold enough even below the snow line.
Mike H SNV - on 04 Oct 2012
The weather can be variable though you'd be unlucky to have more than 1 wet day in a row. A week of sunshine and no rain is quite possible. If you want help with logistics and somewhere to stay, we are on the mountain above Lanjaron not far from the Sulayr and will be around from 10th December.

There's likely to be snow high up, from around 2500m. but the Sulayr stays beneath this, though any rain might fall as snow down to 1300m though unlikely in December.

Mail me and Jane for more info.

mike
ads.ukclimbing.com
Mike H SNV - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Our house is at 1300m and most of the winter we are walking in T shirts, sometimes fleeces up to 1800m. The high mountains are something different, full on winter conditions. However the GR 240 the Sendero Sulayr spends most of it's route low enough to be warm if the sun's out.

mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.