/ Ski Trousers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
deepstar - on 02 Oct 2012
As the title says,can anyone recommend a pair of ski touring trousers/salopettes.Most trousers I have tried seem a bit to heavy,I rarely feel the cold in my legs,also I am a fat git so nothing too small.
Dave Kerr - on 02 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar:

Where are you skiing? For touring in scotland I find paramo salopettes excellent on all but warm spring days. Fully unzipped on the way up and shut on the way down.

deepstar - on 02 Oct 2012
In reply to Dave Kerr:
> (In reply to deepstar)
>
> Where are you skiing?

Mostly in the French Alps,sometimes in the Haute Jura,my ski gear stays at my Sister in Law`s in Geneva.
Shearwater - on 03 Oct 2012
I use a pair of fairly generic stretch weave softshell trousers for touring when it isn't likely to get wet... I got a pair of Berghaus Jorasse pants cos they're cheap and they weren't black, but I'm pretty certain that every manufacturer has something similar. I also looked at the Rab Exodus and Haglofs Rando trews which seemd pretty reasonable (I'd have got the Exodus if my size had been available at the time) but use a noticably heavier fabric. Depending on how much you punish your gear, this might not be a bad thing; the Exodus trews have pretty substantial crampon patches for example.

Aspira salopettes for nasty weather, but they're a fair bit warmer than the Jorasses.
Blinder - on 03 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar: Patogiania backcountry guide. Love them! Expensive in Europe. But I get them in the US. The fit has changed a couple of years ago, to suit the average USA build! If you know what I mean.
deepstar - on 03 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar: I am quite interested in the Arcteryx Gamma SK pants,has anybody tried these?
Shearwater - on 03 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar:
> (In reply to deepstar) I am quite interested in the Arcteryx Gamma SK pants,has anybody tried these?

See also: generic stretch weave trousers sold by everyone ;-)
JIB - on 03 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar: Three ski touring trousers that I really rate:-
1. Good>Unsettled weather - Another vote for the generic softshell pants (Patagonia Guides) which are great, until the rain really sets in.
2. Foul weather - Paramo Aspira salopettes.
3. All-rounders - Patagonia Powderbowl or Primo pants.

I tour in the S Lakes area of NZ, so all of the above have seen use this season in a wide range of conditions.

It goes without saying that the Patagonia product line can be expensive but I picked up the Powderbowl pants cheap (80 quid from memory) from a certain online retailer in Ambleside in their samples sale...
OwenM - on 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Shearwater:
> . I also looked at the Rab Exodus and Haglofs Rando trews which seemd pretty reasonable

I have a pair of the Exodus trousers and really like them, only real problem with them is their fairly long in the leg. I'm a 29ins in seam but oddly they only produce them in 32ins in seam. I got them cheep in a sale so don't mind turning them up but wouldn't have paid the full price (80).

I find them very wind-proof, dry in next to no time - their not really waterproof. They fit really well around the bum and as the material is slightly stretchy give good freedom of movement. Mine are a very light tan colour so don't soak up UV, a real advantage on Alpine tours. They fit over my ski boots well but as the legs are so long I end up having to turn them up.
ams558 - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar: Haglofs Couloir pant.
matejn - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to deepstar: Have a look at Millet and Montura offerings. They make some trousers that are designed just for ski touring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.