/ The Lundy Experience!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BALD EAGLE - on 03 Oct 2012
Greetings and salutations to you all
Having recently got back from a 4 day climbing trip to the magical mystery island of Lundy, with my local club, I have finally got around to cobbling together a short HD film. Lundy is located about 12 miles off the coast of North Devon and it is a truly special place frequented by divers, walkers, twitchers, climbers and those in search of a bit of peace and solitude. However it takes a bit of advance planning + commitment and most visitors get to the Puffin Isle via the MS Oldenburg ferry, but I think most folks find this adds to their experience. In fact there are lots of ingredients including the wildlife, natural features, accommodation, the Letterbox Challenge and the legendary Marisco Tavern, to name but a few, which all add up to make “The Lundy Experience” and I’ve tried to include some of the aforementioned in this film which also includes ascents of the super classic “The Devils Slide” and “Integrity” at Needle Rock sea stack! So has anyone else out there got fond memories and gets a little misty-eyed when reminiscing about their previous visits to this truly special place or even have an epic tale of derring-do to tell? One too many beverages in the Marisco the night before a committing route? A dose of the Lundy Lurgy or an attack of the dreaded Harvest Mite (aka Bracken Bug)? Anyway the entertainment was duly recorded on my GoPro and Panasonic cameras so for anyone interested in viewing a short HD film of this memorable trip then please use the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W8KBOAh9I4
If you wish to sample the full High Def experience you should be able to change the "Quality" icon to 720p HD in the bottom right hand corner on the You Tube screen! Cheers Dave
BALD EAGLE - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Oops forgot to mention that hopefully this short film may inspire folks who have never been to Lundy to pay a visit or even those who have been to visit the Puffin Isle again. Also all constructive feedback welcome! Cheers Dave
Howard J - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
Just got around to watching this - great stuff. Brought back memories of my trip there earlier this year.
BALD EAGLE - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Howard J:
> Just got around to watching this - great stuff. Brought back memories of my trip there earlier this year.

Hey Howard many thanks for the kind comments.! Did you manage to mop up any of the Lundy classic routes and sample a glass of fizzy pop or 2 in the Marisco on your trip?!
Howard J - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to BALD EAGLE: The weather wasn't too kind to us, but we managed a couple of routes at Kistvaen Buttress and had one glorious day for the Devil's Slide - what a route! The rest of the time was spent walking around the island spotting wildlife, holding down our tents against the gales, and keeping the Marisco Tavern in business.
Owen W-G - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Went to Lundy 8ys ago during a week of glorious September weather.
Highlight was definitely leading first E1 (Indy 500) once confidence was up on the 5th day or so, and also sprinting Devil's Slide on final day and only just making it back to boat on time. Got seasick on both crossings (force 7 or 8 on way home). Also had a memorable night gatecrashing an Island wedding (I knew one of the guests coincidently) where I pulled some bird and took her up top of the old lighthouse for a bit of how's your father. Remember that next time you inspect the huge iron rotating disk thingy.
BusyLizzie on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to BALD EAGLE: I loved this film! I went to Lundy more years ago than I care to remember, spent a week rambling around looking at wildlife and waves and seals and bronze age hut circles, reading a lot of books, trying to get the organ in the church to work (the wind chest was leaking and I had a go at the more obvious holes with duct tape). I think in those days I was vaguely aware that people might climb on the rocks, but I would not then have understood why. We were sharing one of the Landmark trust houses with some friends; on the last night they made dinner: a model of the island made out of mashed potato, with broccoli trees etc. It is a very special place.
BALD EAGLE - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Owen W-G:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE)

> Also had a memorable night gatecrashing an Island wedding (I knew one of the guests coincidently) where I pulled some bird and took her up top of the old lighthouse for a bit of how's your father. Remember that next time you inspect the huge iron rotating disk thingy.

<Laughs> Good work mate and I'll never look at that piece of equipment in the same way again! Incidentally did you manage to...erm ...film this great meeting of minds? If so you probably have all the makings of a sequel to "The Lundy Experience"... ;-)

Al Evans on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Nice little film, I've been to Lundy 12 times in fact I started the CC traditional yearly meet. A highlight apart from all the great routes over the years and memorable nights in The Marisco, was the year we had a locals vs climbers cricket match, which the locals won on the last ball delivered by a player the climbers had lent them to make up their side. Happy days.
BALD EAGLE - on 10 Oct 2012
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Hey Lizzie many thanks for you kind words and good luck on Amphitheatre Buttress! Cheers Dave
BALD EAGLE - on 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Thanks Al though I believe you've done a wee bit of filming over the years in slightly more lofty places as well... ;-)
Anyway snap I think this year was my 12th visit as well and I'm all lined up to go next year again though sadly no cricket match lined up as yet! Cheers Dave :-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.