/ Bouldering in Carlisle or Nearby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sgurr - on 04 Oct 2012
Going to be working in Carlisle for six weeks. Don't want to not be bouldering (after getting addicted at TCA Glasgow). Any advice on nearby walls, or am I best just to travel back to Glasgow at the weekends?

Cheers.
tmawer - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to sgurr:

Kendal wall is about 45 miles away and has a lot of bouldering. There is a wall at Carlisle in the Sands Centre which may be of some help and also walls at a local school and the university at Newton Rigg near Penrith, but I am unclear about access to these now (which also has a wall but good for leading rather than bouldering). Wall at Keswick too which is mostly bouldering and is about 35 miles away. Hope this helps.
ajones - on 04 Oct 2012
I've used Keswick as my post-work bouldering wall, not too far from Carlisle. Friendly wall with a decent sized bouldering area plus a steeper-angled training area, campus board etc. Don't get down to the Kendal wall very often nowadays but is worth a trip if you have the time - they've extended it quite considerably and there's plenty of bouldering to be had.
If the weather is reasonable I try to get outdoors, I use Cowraik quarry, Armathwaite (though I'm rubbish at the overhanging stuff on Sandy Bay), Carrock Fell and the Thirlstane (Galloway coast) for after-work bouldering sessions.
thegoatstroker - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to sgurr: A new bouldering wall is set to open in Carlisle in the next month i believe. Called Eden Rock
more info here https://www.facebook.com/EdenRockClimbing
Bulls Crack - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to sgurr:

Lovely place Nearby ;-)
ads.ukclimbing.com
sgurr - on 04 Oct 2012
This is all really helpful. Thanks folks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.