/ Sierra Nevada winter adventure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Will Legon - on 04 Oct 2012
Some mates and I are thinking about spending a week next February in and around the Sierra Nevada mountains. We'll probably do a day or two of sport climbing - but really would also like to spend some time trekking or climbing in the snow and ice. Has anyone any recommendations for things to do, places to stay and really if there's any winter climbing to be had (nowt harder that a Scottish grade 3 please).

Be much obliged.

Will
1philjones1 - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Legon: We went last year in January. fantastic place with lots of habitable mountain bothies and plenty to do below Grade 3. Mulhacen is nothing more than Grade 1, depending on your route, and is a superb mountain.Best bet is to contact Richard Hartley at Spanish High Mountain Guides- they've got a website and are on Facebook. They're based in Lanjaron. They are a mine of information and sorted out a few logistics for us- booked hotels/provided gas etc and, although we didn't use them for guiding, they met up for a beer when we arrived and gave us loads of useful info. If you do want a guide, they come highly recommended.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Sierra Nevada Guides - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Will Legon:
There are established snow and ice routes on the north faces of Alcazaba, Mulhacen and Valeta. For Mulhacen you can stay free of charge in the Caldera refuge (nice unmanned hut with sleeping bunks and table / chairs). There are also several cascades and ice falls that are included in a guide. Lots of snow gullies to be had in the upper rio lanjaron / Caballo. Nothing really recorded so real adventure stuff possibly 1st ascents. The Caballo Refuge (more of a bothy) is a good base for these.

Feel free to mail me separately and I can give you loads of info. some available on our website too,
www.siierranevadaguides.co.uk

For trekking the some of the GR 240 The Sendero Sulayr is a possibility.
http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/medioambiente/servtc5/ventana/paginas/sulayr/indexSulayr.jsp?lg=EN#

mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.