/ Clothing advice - Montane Brand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Areteroute - on 04 Oct 2012
Guys I need a new outershell for this winter. My local TKMaxx has a limited number of Montane smocks and shell jackets selling at 130 apparently down from 280. They appear to be very good quality but although its a brand I have heard off my knowledge of them is poor. Does anyone use Montane gear or have an opinion on it?

Cheers Pete
mattc - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Areteroute: Yea it's good but tkmaxx put holes in everything
skarabrae - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Areteroute: montane make excellent kit.
Shearwater - on 04 Oct 2012
I've not used their hard shells or extreme stuff, but the other bits of Montane gear I have (windshells, softshells, trousers) has all been pretty good. There are plenty of happy owners with blogs and reviews out there.
In reply to Areteroute: Thanks guys, just seemed like to much of a bargain!! Saying that I have had Low Alpine out of there befor and I think sometimes they just dont realise what they have!
Mikkel - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to mattc:
> (In reply to Areteroute) Yea it's good but tkmaxx put holes in everything

I will second that, double check for big holes from security tags.
Got some baselayers from there at one point, went back to buy another one, and all remaining ones had huge holes in them from the security tag being pushed right through the folded up garment.
So not just 1 hole but multiple holes all over the place.
KevinJ - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Areteroute:
We've got quite a bit of Montane gear in our house. Personally, I really like their eVent hard shells. I have a superfly xt which has seen quite a bit of wear now and is still going strong. Size wise it is a bit roomy (even on me) but is the ideal winter climbing jacket IMHO.
The other half has a minimus. Much lighter jacket, she has it for running and stuff. No bad reports.
In reply to KevinJ: Thanks Kev thats me sold!
mrchewy - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Areteroute: Got loads of their stuff - it's all lasting well, even the very lightweight gear.
anotherwally - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Areteroute:
Montane- great stuff, though you don't say which you have spotted, I saw some in bargainous shell jackets in my local TK Maxx but didn't buy because they had put the security tags through the eVent. Duh.
a crap climber - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to Areteroute:
I have a superfly xt, though at 7 odd years old its started to leak a bit. Got an extreme smock as well which I swear by.

For the price I'd get it and put a little bit of seam tape over any holes
birdman - on 04 Oct 2012
In reply to anotherwally:

Bit of tenacious tape will sort that out easy enough!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.