/ paramo aspira vs me g2 pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nickcj - on 04 Oct 2012
I'm looking to replace my paramo aspira salopettes this winter as they are pretty knackered and instead of going for another pair was thinking about the mountain equipment g2 pants instead with a lightweight pair of overtrousers for when its really wet...any thoughts?
Shearwater - on 05 Oct 2012
I don't rate Windstopper very highly. It seems to have most of the disadvantages of a hardshell, whilst not actually being waterproof. I much prefer stretch-weave type fabrics... they breathe better and dry faster and can sometimes be found significantly more cheaply.

Aside from that, your softshell+overtrews combination is a perfectly sensible one, and works well enough for me. Have a quick look at the ME Liskamm trousers (now discontinued? still a good few for sale though) for a nice alternative to the G2s .
Styx - on 05 Oct 2012
I'm not a fan of Windstopper either, it's just not breathable enough for me to justify using when it means I have to carry an overtrouser as well. I much prefer Polartec Power Shield fabrics, check out the new Patagonia Backcountry Guide & Alpine Guide pants instead.
Ron Walker - on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to nickcj:

The ME G2 pants are in no way waterproof compared to the Paramo gear. Having said that they are a lot more windproof than the ME Lsykam pants which I use mainly for mountain rock climbing or scrambling in.

The G2's are good in windy weather and in very light intermittent showers.
In good but windy alpine weather they work well too as they are much lighter and cooler than the Paramo legwear.

I use Paramo throughout the Scottish winter but use the G2's in the Alps or in fair to good UK weather.

I got absolutely soaked through last weekend on the Ben wearing my G2 pants but my upper half wearing the Paramo smock was dry.
Mr Fuller on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to nickcj: I really rate my ME G2s in winter. I wear them with thermals underneath and unless it's going to be raining a lot I'll leave the overtrousers at home. If it's going to be raining a lot then I try not to go out!

I got completely soaked last year when I didn't have overtrousers, but that's one day out of about 30 when I wish I'd had them with me: the rest of the time the Windstopper's coped just fine. I don't like Windstopper for jackets but my legs don't seem to sweat anywhere near as badly, so they don't mind the decreased breathability.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.