/ Want to start winter climbing...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
WetAndCold - on 05 Oct 2012
But I don't know anyone who winter climbs?

I don't know alot about it, but have trad experience (some multi-pitch as well) anyone willing to take on a partner they would have to show the winter ropes? The reward would be a cheeky staff discount from Cotswold outdoors ;)

When does the winter season start?

Perhaps this should be in 'partners and lifts' sorry if it should be.
NottsRich on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to WetAndCold: I'm in the same boat as you. Where are you based? I'm moving to Edinburgh in a month or so, just for winter :-)
WetAndCold - on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to NottsRich:

Hi mate, I'm based in West Wales. Moving just for winter? Pretty sweet, wish I could do that :P
NottsRich on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to WetAndCold: Well, 2 years there in total from next month, but I'm seeing it as just for the winters :-) Good luck finding someone to play with.
Alex Slipchuk on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to NottsRich: based in Glasgow. Got baby on way, so don't know how often I'll get out. You can always pm me. you'd only need boots,
smuffy on 05 Oct 2012
In reply to WetAndCold: What equipment do you have....winter boots, crampons, axes, climbing equipment? I'm based in West Mids but try to get out in Snowdonia or Brecon as much as possible during winter.
jamesofdeath - on 06 Oct 2012
In reply to WetAndCold:

Same boat! Live in Dundee! Have winter boots, crampons and double axes.....just need someone to head out with!!
NottsRich on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to The Big Man: Thanks for the offer! I've got all the personal kit (boots, crampons, axes) and a rock rack. When I'm moved into Edinburgh I'll probably drop you a PM.
Steve Wakeford - on 12 Oct 2012
In reply to WetAndCold: I'm in same boat too. Looking for a partner who knows what they are doing of someone to go halves on a week with a private instructor once the conditions are good. Any takers?
Stone Idol - on 12 Oct 2012
In reply to WetAndCold: Read a book, check the snow conditions, get out there on something easy - cheap and sorted. Go people!
jonnie3430 - on 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Steve Wakeford:
> (In reply to WetAndCold) Any takers?

There's plenty of people who will, just post a few days before you are definitely going and ask for someone to take you out!
Steve Wakeford - on 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Stone Idol: that is my immediate plan but some company might add to it. Thanks for the extra push though. Can you recommend which kind of ice axes, crampons and boots to buy to get out there and get on it ASAP please? Many thanks in advance.
Michael Gordon - on 12 Oct 2012
In reply to Steve Wakeford:
> (In reply to Stone Idol) Can you recommend which kind of ice axes, crampons and boots to buy to get out there and get on it ASAP please?

Hi Steve, if you can maybe check out one of those 'gear round up' articles; you get them in the likes of Climber and on here from time to time. Everyone will have different opinions on the best kit to get depending on one's ability and the amount willing to spend etc.

Boots - can't go wrong with Nepal Extremes if they fit you well. Scarpa Mont Blancs are one alternative. I'm selling a good pair of Boreals (size 10.5) just now.

Crampons - G12s are hard to beat as allrounders.

Axes - Black Diamond Viper?
Steve Wakeford - on 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Michael Gordon: thanks Michael, good advice, also met a few experienced winter mountaineers in the wall yesterday and got some good tips too. Joe Brown are doing really good deals on the old DMM axes at the moment as the new ones have just come out. I don't care so I'll go and swing them around in snow and rock in London then order from Joe Browns I think. Cheers.
Robh101 - on 14 Oct 2012
NottsRich: Stick your nose into Cotswold Outdoors in Edinburgh when you get here and come and find me, I climb with a local group who are a mix of all types of climbing styles including Winter and mountaineering.

Rob
ads.ukclimbing.com
NottsRich on 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Robh101: Thanks Rob, I think I'll do just that! :-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.