/ is it too late for sport climbing in N. Wales????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mountain Spirit - on 07 Oct 2012
Hi.

I want to do some outdoor sport climbing!

Is it too late and too cold to do it in say Llanberis?

Do you think I should do it abroard eg Costa Blanca or Mallorca?

Would you recommend an organisation such as Rock and Sun to learn to sport climb?

Bye

Savvas
Landy_Dom on 07 Oct 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

I've sport climbed in llanberis the whole year round - you may have to drop a grade or two to allow for cold fingers but you can still enjoy yourself!
Mountain Spirit - on 07 Oct 2012
In reply to Landy_Dom:

Hey Landy_Dom

I will try and get some sport climbing done in October or November!

Thanks for your advice!

The Ivanator - on 07 Oct 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit: It's too late now, unless you like climbing in the dark ...try tomorrow.
rockcat - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit: No need to go abroad. Dry, climbable conditions can be found year round albeit less so in the winter. Slate is the obvious sport climbing choice if you are in llanberis but its also worth a short drive to the A55 crags as well to extend the choice. Crags such as Castle Inn and Penmaen Head quickly come into condition after rain.

> Hi.
> I want to do some outdoor sport climbing!
> Is it too late and too cold to do it in say Llanberis?
> Do you think I should do it abroard eg Costa Blanca or Mallorca?
> Would you recommend an organisation such as Rock and Sun to learn to sport climb?
Bye
>
> Savvas

Jamie B - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to rockcat:

> Slate is the obvious sport climbing choice if you are in llanberis

Check the access situation first though, I believe that a number of the easier routes around Dali's Hole are now off-limits?
Landy_Dom on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

I think all sport climbing in Dali's hole has been de-bolted.

Much better pickings in Australia - Above the Rails and The Sidings areas are both good. If you've not got the new ground up guide, get it - it's invaluable and none of the older guides have the new sport routes in.
Sam Mayfield - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

We are running Sport courses throughout the winter season here on The Costa Blanca.

you can check details on our website

http://theorangehouse.co.uk/rock-climbing-courses

Bare in mind when you do a course with us you stay here and you mix with a house full of other climbers and get to chat "climbing rubbish" all evening :0)

Sam Orange

Mountain Spirit - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to rockcat:

Hey.

Thanks for that Rock Cat!

I am looking forward to Llanberis Slate especially slab routes!

Bye

Savvas
Mountain Spirit - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to The Ivanator:

I was taking about sometime next week!
Moggsy on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit: Get to Spain, it's awesome. Rock and Sun are very good too, Dave Baggley is a cracking instructor
Mountain Spirit - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Moggsy:

I am planning to go with Rock and Sun if I cannot get a partner of Llanberis!

Where in Spain would you suggest?
Moggsy on 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Mountain Spirit: Fly to Alicante on EasyCrash or one of the other cheap ones.. Then orange house or some accommodation around Calpe works well. Usually we hire some dinky cars from the airport and you have good access to most of the venues from there. Get the rockfax guide for costa blanca and you'll be sorted.
Sam Mayfield - on 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Moggsy:

Thanks for the recommendation Moggsy, we are looking for more Oranges this season to come work in exchange for board if anyone fancies climbing in the sun with a bit of work!

Costa Blanca guide book you can only buy second hand now as sold out.

Airport hire last week as 53 for 7 days.

Regards Sam Orange

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.