/ Wadi Rum and +35C - can you climb?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
adnix - on 08 Oct 2012
We've got flights to Wadi Rum on Friday. The temps seem to be 32-36 day and 23 night. Anyone been there if its like this? Is it possible to climb anything?
Solaris - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to adnix:

Look for routes in the shade (there are plenty) and start out early. Or do easier routes than you would otherwise.

Have a good time, it's a fantastic place.
Rich K - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to adnix: I was there a couple of weeks ago. Didn't do any climbing (unfortunately) but did a reasonable amount of walking and as long as you stay in the shade in the afternoon you should be fine. If possible start early and then allow time for a nap in the shade after lunch.
Jonathan Spooner - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to adnix:
Stick to the north faces as its unbearably hot anywhere else and it'll sap the energy out of you. Avoid Jebel Rum south face which looms over the guesthouse and its a massive suntrap and is fairly gnarly.
These are good hot weather routes.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=88012
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=45235
Lord of Starkness - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to adnix:

What Solaris said.

By picking venues out of direct sun and starting early or late to maximise shade, it was certainly possible to climb routes during the summer along the UAE / Oman border during the summer months with daytime highs well over 40C -- although being 'residents' at the time meant we were pretty well acclimatised / certifiable by that stage.
adnix - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

Thanks for the info! In June I was climbing in Arco at +35C and it was beyond what I would call comfortable. I quess it's full on desert conditions...
ads.ukclimbing.com
Lord of Starkness - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to adnix:

I never said 35c+ was comfortable -- you've just got to be daft enough.

PS I'd always freeze a 1.5 litre water bottle of isotonic the night before, carry in and insulated bottle carrier and sip from it whilst on the route as it starts to defrost. My mate and I could generally get up and down a 3 pitch route on a bottle each.

We'd set off up the hill with 3 bottles -- consume one on the way to the foot of the climb, and leave one in the sacks for when we got down. Dehydration in those sorts of temperatures is not to be recommended.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.