/ Rope life

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anhibian - on 08 Oct 2012
Hey guys

I'm an admin member of a University climbing club and we've recently purchased some new 35m (11mm diameter) ropes for using at the nearby indoor wall.

I've noticed that all of these are being used constantly all day by various club members (which is good) but I'm wondering how long they will last safely. Any advice would be much appreciated!
B Ffitch - on 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Anhibian: If the ropes are being used daily then probably 1 year or less.

Mammut have a useful table:
http://www.mammut.ch/en/ropes_handling_lifespan.html

The important thing is to check them regularly and if you are in any doubt to their safety then replace immediately.
Pero - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to RockUp-Climbing: I notice that Mammut also has advice on harnesses:

Frequently used (each week): up to 1 year

I wonder how many of us who climb either indoors or outdoors every week follow this advice? I was reckoning on 5 years for mine!

Milesy - on 09 Oct 2012
Does that take into consideration climbing type?

I am sure a sport climber will wear their harness out a lot more taking falls and dogging then a trad climber who doesnt often fall?
CurlyStevo - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Milesy:
or indeed if you have a penchant for udgeing up chimneys.
ianstevens - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Anhibian: I'd go for the 9 month rule (seems to have worked ok for me so far, and I was told it by a mammut tech rep). Basically, a rope will live for 9 months if used daily. 18 months if it gets used every 2 days, 27 if it gets used every 1 in 3 days etc.

So in your case, jut replace them at the tart of the next academic year if they continue to get used this much. Obviously if they rub on edges, take a load of wangers or have a date with some acid, you may need to retire them sooner.
Pero - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to ianstevens:

Given the 9-month rule, my ropes (used for trad climbing maybe 20 days per year) should last about 12-15 years.
ads.ukclimbing.com
a concerned citizen - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Anhibian: My wall rope was starting to look a bit tired after a year when I was climbing 4/5 times a week in winter. They were binned on the basis of handling rather than safety though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.