/ Expedition Leaders (freelance) Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
traderdb - on 09 Oct 2012
Can anybody recommend a good insurance company that will cover freelance overseas expedition leaders for leading expeditions besides the BMC (its amazingly expensive through these), it needs to be worldwide, cover altitude along with all the usual stuff e.g. cancellation, medical, search and rescue etc. Thanks
Ava Adore - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to traderdb:

And presumably liability too
traderdb - on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Ava Adore: Yep...absolutely!
sargy - on 09 Oct 2012
Would you not be covered under the specific trip insurance policy taken out by the expedition company?
Damo on 09 Oct 2012
In reply to traderdb:

When you say 'freelance' - are you operating as your own company, or just as an individual? If the former, it might be possible to get it as a business, though it may be unaffordable.

As an individual, not in an organisation like the IFMG etc, it may not be possible. It's hard enough to just get full exped insurance at all now, let alone with a liability component for having clients. It's become a huge problem.

As above, if you're being employed by a company, I would have thought they had insurance in place that covered their staff. ie. you.

Based on a recent incident, it's important to really read the fine print and work out just what you (or your family etc) are up for if a Himalayan SAR is needed. Be very sure your insurance really covers it. Are you willing to have a lien put on your parents/wife's house? It's one reason policies like the Austrian Alpine Club etc, that offer several thousand dollars for rescue/medevac, are woefully inadequate for outside the Alps.

If you find something - please tell the rest of us!
traderdb - on 16 Oct 2012
In reply to traderdb:

Just to clarify the situation: the insurance would need to cover an individual (freelancer) for leading an expedition overseas for a company, for example like somebody might do with world challenge (though I dont work for this company and never would). Expedition companies seem to say just get travel insurance but I cant find any that cover you if you are on the trip in any paid capacity e.g. as a leader, tour guide or whatever. You are right that most companies cover freelance staff with professional indemnity but what happens if I get injured, need SAR or just even get your bags stolen - does standard travel insurance cover this? (by standard I mean the same travel insurance you would get if you were a client)
Andy Say - on 16 Oct 2012
In reply to traderdb:
I think it's called 'employers liability insurance'? And the employing company should have it in place. You might want your own travel cover for the odd bag 'missing in transit' or camera that you drop but if you get injured or need SAR whilst working then you should be covered as an employee.

But that's IF you are being 'properly' employed. You may find that a lot of this sort of work is effectively sub-contracting in which case you might want your own cover. Key question - who is paying the tax associated with your work? - if its PAYE then you should be covered by them. If you just get a lump sum and you pay your own tax then you may want your own cover.

axht - on 16 Oct 2012
In reply to traderdb:

I've found the best way is to go for Expedition Insurance from the usual suspects and then add on tour guide liability insurance (for cancellation refunds to clients if you're hurt prior to the start and for negligence) via a private broker from Lloyds of London.
sargy - on 21 Oct 2012
In reply to traderdb:

I've led for a number of 'World Challenge' type companies, and have been satisfied with their pretty comprehensive travel insurance, which covers all members of the party.
ads.ukclimbing.com
sargy - on 21 Oct 2012
In reply to sargy:

With the caveat being cameras/iPods etc aren't covered, but you can get individual cover for small items like this (probably covered by Home Contents insurance anyway)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.