/ Creag Ghlas routes cleaned

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Captain Solo on 11 Oct 2012
Due to a combination of october holidays boredom, nae midweek mates and deerstalking on intended hill I cleaned the following routes on Creag Ghlas yesterday:
Hall of Mirrors, both pitches, in-situ ab point at top of 1st pitch is still good. Maybe never going to be a **** but hopefully now a healthy ***.
The Lizard, hopefully now a ** experience, worth doing if Salamander is busy, excellent final crack.
I also replaced the weathered cord on the ab point at the top of Glass Slipper.
Might be a bit late for this year but get up there in the spring and keep 'em clean!
Capt.
Andy Nisbet - on 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Captain Solo:

Vey well done! That crag needs attention every now and again. Hall of Mirrors took many hours originally I'm told, and I spent time on Toad Hall. But I don't think The Lizard had ever been cleaned.
Andy Moles - on 11 Oct 2012

Good effort on a full day's work (we were the ones sharing the crag with you). You didn't drop a guide plate by any chance?
In reply to Andy Nisbet:
I did The Lizard a couple of months ago and found it quite "challenging" because of the moss. I've now uncovered a "thank god" jug at the top of the crux section which would have been handy at the time!

Oh and I have a photo of you cleaning Hall of Mirrors with the Torridon hills behind, if you're interested. It's a bit overexposed.
In reply to Andy Moles:
Cheers, I couldnt believe the time when I finished, must have spent about 7hrs at it, its a labour of love!
No, didn't drop anything yesterday, ab ropes got stuck twice mind you.
Did you finish Salamander before it got dark?
Lovely sunset and atmosphere with the roaring stags.
Fiend - on 11 Oct 2012

Well done.
John Mackenzie on 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Captain Solo: Well done Martin, excellent work! Now while you're at it how about a quick removal of some veg on Salamanders 4th pitch, (the corner) which could do with it, otherwise the route is very clean. Such heroic work might induce me to give Glenmarksie a bit of a brush down as well unless you fancy it first!

We just about got up the final pitch without having to put the torches on. The roaring started to seem a little more sinister coming down in the dark!
In reply to Andy Moles:
Aye that would be nice, the wife is struggling to comprehend that I actually spent all day scraping moss off a rock.

I'll email it to you later on when I can lay hands on my laptop.
In reply to John Mackenzie:
Never mind thanking Martin, he's Lone Rider!
I did Salamander again a couple of months ago and I don't remember much veg at all on the 4th pitch. Its pretty popular these days so i think the traffic keeps it clean.

Aye the corner pitch of Salamander is clean as a whistle.
Heike - on 11 Oct 2012
Great! Well done. Hope I'll get there sometime....
Jamie B - on 11 Oct 2012

Fantastic efort, hope you get a few pints out of it!

Agree with Mr McKenzie, Glenmarskie has the potential to be a great crag with some similar attention. Meig, on the other hand.... http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=glenmarskie
Andy Nisbet - on 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
> Meig, on the other hand....

It only needs a bit of loving. OK a lot, as Mr Mackenzie originally gave it.
AlH - on 11 Oct 2012
In reply to Captain Solo: Well done.
If I lived closer to Inverness then I'd be tempted to put in a day or so cleaning single pitch crags like Glenmarskie (and the HVS I did with Jamie B was great) and maybe even Meig (spring or Autumn crag as John Mc rightly pointed out to me- humid with head high bracken, ticks and midges will make even a clean crag less attractive but one with a bit of lichen and dampness may otherwise go on the 'never again' list). Unfortunately Corpach has many closer bits of rock in need of attention.
Good to see the less popular routes on Creag Ghlas getting a mention and attention.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.