/ Tower Ridge detailed topo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
AdCo82 on 02 Nov 2012
Anyone know of any online?
Milesy - on 02 Nov 2012
What do you mean a topo? It is a straight line up a ridge. The 1:25000 OS map shows closer detail.
AdCo82 on 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Milesy: sorry maybe I should have added I meant for the various alternative starts that are avauilable.

AT
Doghouse - on 02 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Hhmmm that could be quite a few routes then as I guess that would include the Douglas Boulder and both the East and West flanks of the ridge itself depending upon where you wanted to get onto it.
Milesy - on 02 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

No one does the boulder in winter. You just go up the east or the west gully. That's it :)
Offwidth - on 03 Nov 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: you can buy the guidebook online.
Gael Force - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Milesy: A lot of people do routes on the boulder,particularly in bad weather.
Jamie B - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Gael Force:

> A lot of people do routes on the boulder,particularly in bad weather.

I think Milesy meant that it is extremely rare for anyone to link a Douglas Boulder route onto Tower Ridge, which could make for an epic long day.

But you're right to say that the Boulder has become a very popular low-level option, with SE Ridge, Jacknife, Cutlass and Gutless all getting multiple ascents. In fact I believe the first-mentioned got done on Sunday.

The Mole - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
> (In reply to Gael Force)
>
> [...]
>
> I think Milesy meant that it is extremely rare for anyone to link a Douglas Boulder route onto Tower Ridge, which could make for an epic long day.
>

A few years ago late season (early May) we did a route over the boulder (which was not icy) in big boots at about VDiff. After abseiling into the foot of the ridge proper, we donned spikes and did the ridge which was in good winter nick and we had it to ourselves– very alpine.
We would have ticked the whole thing but we caught up with the crowds at Tower Gap -there were about 5 parties queuing to get across. We lost patience and abbed off. It was a shame not to do the whole caboodle as there was plenty of daylight left. Great day though
tlm - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to The Mole:
> there were about 5 parties queuing to get across. We lost patience and...

...pushed the lot of them over the edge in a great shower of cagoules and crampons.

sorry. I couldn't stop myself.
The Mole - on 15 Nov 2012
In reply to tlm: The thought did occur to me at the time (especially when people started crawling across on their knees - they obviously thought goretex trousers has better frictional properties than crampons) but I resisted.
scottie390 - on 15 Nov 2012
In reply to The Mole: Id say the queing and waiting on other parties seems some what more in the style of an alpine day out more than any route over the DB!
ads.ukclimbing.com
The Mole - on 15 Nov 2012
In reply to scottie390: I was thinking more in terms of climbing dry rock with hands and boots and then changing to spikes and axes as the route changed to mixed ground as we ascended. Your point about queuing at bottle necks does take the analogy a step further though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.