/ Recommend me a new mountain jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BigHell on 02 Nov 2012
Have been to my local climbing shop today and tried on a few Jackets, thing is most of them seem to have over large floppy hoods or slack sleeves its all very confusing. I have now got down to this!

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/mens-mountain-guide-jacket/493?gclid=CJqCg6z8sLMCFYXLtAodHikAk...

But the zips were hard to unfasten advise please ...confused !
martinph78 on 02 Nov 2012
In reply to BigHell: I spent ages shopping around and settled on teh Moutain Equipment Firefly.

It's half the weight and half the price of the NF jacket in your link.

Like you I spent ages shopping around (months!) and share your frustration, especially with hoods! I finally settled on this because it fit perfectly. This will be different for different people obviously but I love it. It performs superbly. I did try the heavy weight ME jackets and found the same (fit wise better than others).
martinph78 on 02 Nov 2012
In reply to Martin1978: Oh, forgot to say, the zips are tighter to fasten because they are waterproof zips. They do ease a bit with use. Liek you I noticed that in the shop but after a few uses on the hill I no longer notice. So far more waterproof than standard zips with storm flaps as well!
jolivague - on 02 Nov 2012
In reply to BigHell:

What are you planning on doing while wearing it?

If you don't mind something a bit lighter the Berghaus Velum is a great fit on the sleeves, massive hood (great for wearing over a helmet) but not overly floppy and cinches down on the head nicely.
BigHell on 03 Nov 2012
In reply to jolivague:
> (In reply to BigHell)
>
> What are you planning on doing while wearing it?
>
> If you don't mind something a bit lighter the Berghaus Velum is a great fit on the sleeves, massive hood (great for wearing over a helmet) but not overly floppy and cinches down on the head nicely.

Gonna be used in most environments, Alps ,scrambles at the moment I am using a Sprayway Hydrodry jacket it is a great jacket but a bit on the light side.
andyd1970 - on 03 Nov 2012
In reply to BigHell: I have a Mountain Equipment Tupilak 11. I use it all year round its really light weight and tough. It is short cut for a harness good pockets and a great hood. I have worn it in the Cairngorms in winter in bed conditions and I love it. It is an alpine cut also so its not baggy and feels nice ans unrestricted. I got mine for 150 in the sale last year but you will have to pay a bit more than that.
jezb1 - on 03 Nov 2012
In reply to BigHell: Crux flak jacket
MonkeyPuzzle - on 03 Nov 2012
In reply to BigHell:

Bought a Montane Mohawk last year and it's stood up to a thrashing. Close cut, stretchy patches under the arms so it doesn't ride up, properly waterproof zips and a big hood that still cinches down nicely when you're not wearing a helmet. Really light but bomber with it. I think GoOutdoirs have em for about 160. Highly recommend.
BigHell on 13 Nov 2012
In reply to BigHell:

Just an update ..ended up buying one of theses .

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-latok-alpine-mens-waterproof-jacket-p105299
flett53 - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to BigHell: ME Kalanka= Ace
adamarkley - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to BigHell:

i picked up a craghopper bear grylls jacket 60quid from field and trek reduced from 100 i think.. used on the mountain loads climbing/hiking, nice fitting hard wearing does the job for a good price.
muppetfilter - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to adamarkley: A word of warning, ownership of those jackets can lead to this ....(dont look if you are a child or easiy offended by mountains being sexually assaulted)

http://imgur.com/gallery/fKYoS
adamarkley - on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to muppetfilter:

ha ha, ace thats my new screen saver!!!!!!
BigHell on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to flett53:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mountain-equipment-kalanka-mens-waterproof-jacket-p189734
?gclid=CLSX-_r5zrMCFePHtAodk1MAgQ

Yes I looked at this jacket but nothing at go-outdoors would fit me, always small or extra large and a medium would be too tight. And that was the main problem I came across. Then Go-outdoor just happen to get a load of the Rab Latok in, and in large so I went for it. Being made with three layer Event was the decider,possibly the best breathable fabric on the market. But floppy arms and voluminous hoods and price all came into consideration. The Rab will do for me it has a good hood and no floppy arms. It will be replacing my Sprayway Hydrodry which is now relegated to walking the dog.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=123047
muppetfilter - on 14 Nov 2012
BigHell on 14 Nov 2012
In reply to adamarkley:
> (In reply to BigHell)
>
> i picked up a craghopper bear grylls jacket

I do own a pair of Bears craghopper pants and yes they cost much less than the RRP but like North Face they carry a certain stigma ! Thanks to every one for the advice and your patience, I am off to Kinder Down fall in the morning, and guess what? I will be wearing the Sprayway as Mrs Hell's wrapped the Rab and put it a way for Christmas. Women !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.